PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a new Ranger. Love everything about it except shifting from low to high is damn near impossible. Sometimes I have to shift down to N then slam it into high. Been reading a lot about it and it seems others are having the same problem. Is this just the nature of the beast? Or is there something I can do? Only have about 8 hrs on it. Just doesn’t feel right.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Just purchased a new Ranger. Love everything about it except shifting from low to high is damn near impossible. Sometimes I have to shift down to N then slam it into high. Been reading a lot about it and it seems others are having the same problem. Is this just the nature of the beast? Or is there something I can do? Only have about 8 hrs on it. Just doesn’t feel right.
Just a test but have you tried shifting it with the machine off? Is it still hard or is it much easier?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Much easier
Your secondary is engaged while idling. Could be as easy as needing a shim behind one of the clutches. If you are mechanically inclined and want to check yourself. Pull the belt cover and start the ranger. At idle your secondary which is the rear clutch shouldn’t be spinning. I’d be Willing to bet it’s engaged and spinning. It’s normal for it to barely spin and catch every once in a while but it shouldn’t stay Engaged.

·
Registered
273 Posts
There are a few videos out there about the belt/clutch alignment. ( it’s a BIG issue with our Rangers) and VERY easy to fix. I believe Hunterworks has a video for this on his site. The secondary clutch mounting bolt has numerous washers/shims under the retaining bolt. Video clearly shows how to check alignment with a cell phone camera and simply add/remove shims depending on which way belt needs to go. This is most likely the cause of hard shifting as it was with mine when I bought it new.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I did the shim alignment on mine. Clutch doesn’t spin while at idle and it still hard to get into high sometimes. Sometimes it’s easy. I have no clue. I believe I’ll end up breaking shifter before it’s over.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I did the shim alignment on mine. Clutch doesn’t spin while at idle and it still hard to get into high sometimes. Sometimes it’s easy. I have no clue. I believe I’ll end up breaking shifter before it’s over.

Well if you do break it the new ones are now made without that relief cut so it should be stronger...I know this from experience.
Dennis

·
Registered
34 Posts
Adjust the shift cable at tranny

I may need to adjust mine as well if the new spider assembly and weights the dealer are putting on doesn't help. Any one know of a video or turtorial on how to adjust the shift cable on the 19s? Can't seem to find one. First Ranger so still figuring how to tweek things.

·
Registered
2020 Ranger XP1000 Northstar Crew Ultimate
4 Posts
Mine is also hard to shift into high. It needs to be slammed into gear. I did adjust the shift cable quite a bit i feel (possibly the width of a jam nut) and while it may have gotten better it still is difficult to lock it into high. I am not sure more adjustment will help. When the little lady runs it she struggles to get it in high. Many times it is engaged to the point where it moves some then grinds when shes driving. I have verified the secondary is not spinning when the engine is running at idle.

Any other things i can try or just adjust the cable some more?

·
Registered
273 Posts
With the same issues on my ‘19 XP 1000, and doing everything mentioned here so far (AND breaking my shift cable at 65 hours)...I now come to a complete stop, shift into neutral, then to high gear and make sure that I push shifter firmly toward dash BEFORE I hit the accelerator! Pain in the butt...but is working for me.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mine works better if I go to neutral from park, then select the gear I will use, especially when going to reverse. Park may have something to do with it.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Ranger XP1000 Northstar Crew Ultimate
4 Posts
Mine is at a stand still after starting or when backing from the garage then selecting high. It just hates locking to high gear without some extra effort. Will probably have to make a trip to the dealer. I certainly dont want the cable to bust on me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have been having the same problem except mine was actually stuck in reverse after backing it out of my shop. When I took my foot off the brake, it was moving backwards as if I was giving it gas. It’s never done that before. I tried shifting several times without the shifter budging into any gear. I finally shut it off and it’s ran fine ever since...🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
The only time I had a problem with the classic is when the idle was too high. Even though it shifts fine, I tend to shut mine off in what ever gear it is in, and many times, start it in the desired gear unless it is cold. I figure it is much less wear on the trans for the hopefully "extended" life of it. As said above, the secondary really shouldn't be moving at Idle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts