PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sorry if this question has been ask too many times but ....Do you guys have a feel for what the top speed should be on this 2021 Ranger crew NorthStar?
I ask because on a level gravel road with just me and my dog in it and no load... I can only get 50 MHP and that takes a long time. With a slight down hill it would barley hit 56 mph . Up to 35 mph it does ok but after that it is a real dog.
Any thoughts.... I didn't buy it to be fast but with 82 HP I expected more acceleration . I know I can get the Gillomen tune but I just wanted to be sure this is normal and I dont have a problem before I add a tune or other.
Also any thoughts on the Gillomen tune is it really noticeable?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
You in performance mode?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I wasn't I was in standard. I thought the different modes just controlled throttle response not actual top sped or other ? ...maybe I am wrong and I need to re try it?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Id retry it to be sure. You should see 60-62 mph.

You'll definitely feel the difference with Terry's tune. Stock ecu limits full throttle opening. I think only 65-70% opening. If you go with his tune, spend the extra for his adjustable weights. The standard kit comes with rzr weights and makes your rpms quite peeky.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks RJ I will try it again in Performance mode.
That's good to know about his weights I was going to buy the non adjustable weights he sells but since you recommend the adjustable I will re think that.
Do you run his adjustable weights? If so are you running them heavier than the stock weights?
I was planning on starting with his heavier rate secondary spring when I put my 32's on it. I would think with his tune and the heavier secondary spring the stock weights would be better than the lighter fixed weights he sells.
My experience has been when you increase power you increase clutch weight. I was surprised to find that his fixed weights are lighter than stock.

Is Gilomen the best way to go or are there other equally good options ?

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Terry's top notch! Heavier secondary may be the way to go with the 32s. But i would call him to discuss your setup. Easy guy to talk to and always gets back to you.

Stock weights won't work with the tune. Waaaay to heavy to pull the rpms you need.

His clutch kit will totally smooth out your engagement also. No more jerky neck snapping starts. Always my first purchase on my new machines. You wont be disappointed .

Reactions: Max H

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thank you...I have a call in with him. I also found some other threads on the subject so I will do some more reading
I should have searched a little harder ... ;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
I finally let mine out on a nice road and hit 63 both directions in my 2021 crew trail boss, front and rear glass and sport roof. No doors yet!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Dadeano ... was that in performance mode ?
I am at 3000 ft so that could rob a little and the doors are crazy heavy adding a lot of weight

·
Registered
5 Posts
The trail boss has 29 in rubber and I have read gearing is lower, so with larger tires it must bring the overall ratio back to where XP1000’s are

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I imagine there is a lot of changes in gearing between models especially from 3 seat to 6 seat crew models?
Mine has the 29" tires as well

·
Registered
710 Posts
My XP 1000 crew with roof, front and rear windshield run 64-65 on stock tires will still do about 63 on 28 carnivores, that's in performance mode, seen it do alot faster on a slight down hill grade

·
Registered
2020 Ranger Northstar Crew Ultimate
524 Posts
I don’t need to go fast. For me that’s not what it is about. My drink. My ice. My wife. My dogs. Away I go.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am not looking to go fast.... I would just like the ability to accelerate to 50 mph reasonably quick
Currently that is not the case it takes a very long time to get to 50 and if it is even slightly up hill forget it.... 40 ish mph maximum
I will re try it again tonight with the switch in performance mode maybe thats the problem.

·
Registered
710 Posts
MaxH, that don't sound right, my machine is in standard mode 99% of the time, it will jump from zero to 50 like it's nothing, up hill or down, then the torque slows from 55 up, mine is not a Northstar, but a crew xp. Only time I use performance mode is when I'm trail riding with the fellows

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the northstar crew trail boss with the Gilomen tune, I hit 62 with out and over 70 with it. Awesome!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts