PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
@P.T
Thanks for your comments I've been researching more and I have learned a lot about the Ranger clutching ....if it was an RZR I would probably know the answer but I have a lot to learn about the specifics and differences of the Rangers still

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
@Sonnyhad
Thanks good info ...couple questions please
What year do you have ?
Stock tire size still ?
Just the Gilomen tune ...clutching is still stock or did you do the clutching as well?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Max, the tune makes its best power up around 7800 rpm. Terry recommends not wasting money on the tune without clutching. I threw stock parts back in once just to see how it would act. It was alright i guess. But was only able to pull 7400 on a very long pull. Way off the power band.

Currently with my portals. I have mine set up to hit 7500 rpm when i stab it. And climbs quickly to 78-7900 rpms. Will still pull 70 plus mph.

Im a little puzzled why yours is acting pokey. Maybe she needs some break in time.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
Thanks guys ...I have been digging deep researching the clutching ,tune and other stuff for the 2021.
Speaking of....What is the hell is the windage plate on the back side of the secondary for 2021 model only ?...thats a new one to me . It was good to hear they went to the 2 way primary bearing

I am trying to get caught up on my Ranger specific details before I make too many stupid comments . But I am formulating a plan and your comments are helpful and appreciated .
I have not been able to retest the top speed since its been raining crazy hard and the gravel county roads are soft as sh*t.
Hopefully with the switch in performance mode will solve my getting to 50 mph in a reasonable amount of time .

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well this evening I did get to try the top speed test again this time with the switch in Performance mode instead of standard mode.
No real change other than the initial throttle response was better. It was slightly quicker to 30 , but after 35'ish mph to 50 ...it was the same as before. It took all it had and probably 10 seconds to go from 35 - 50 on the level .. and had no more.
I'm at 3000 feet and it runs good so I think it is normal ..or no problems at least .

Max RPM is only about 6100 rpm so it is low... stock should be 6400 - 6500 'ish from what I have been told and found researching ...and according to Gilomen , RVS and others

So time to lighten the weights . I think I have decided to buy some factory 32/114g weights ...you can buy them cheap used all day long on ebay for only $25-30 bucks for all 3. I also have several sets of RZR weights to play with

I can machine away the factory 32 series weights to a similar profile as the adjustable after market weights and balance them . I will leave a little more in the heel than most others and then retest with no other changes
After that I will get the Gilomen tune. ...and test again the changes

I want to do this one step at a time to see the difference of each modification ...yes I understand it all works together but at the end it will make more sense to test the effect of each. Even if it is the long way around to determine what may already be perfected. I dont want to drop from 114 g weights (stock) all the way to 72 g in on e big jump . It seems for what I am looking for, a happy medium would be more than 72G and that is about the heaviest most after market companies offer .

Finally and for only 28 bucks more.. If I need a little more rpm I am going to try the 165/ 276 EPI blue PEBS31 secondary spring (as opposed to the stock Polaris 140/230 ). That should be perfect when I jump to the 32" Carnivores and in the mean time bring up my rpm to about another 200 RPM with added belt grip for low speed high load operation.

I am not looking for maximum power , speed or acceleration . I am looking to peak out at about 7000 rpm with the best low speed operation fully loaded with minimal belt slip and minimum cab noise ...while improving my 0 - 50 MPH time and no more
We will see how it goes ...:unsure:

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I enjoy the tinkering myself. Friends say I'm going to wear out the clutch cover bolts. Lol

With Terry's kits, weight profile and spring rates are different. Start rates are 60 to 75. I run a 65-280 if i remember correctly. It definitely smooths engagement out.

His tune will definitely wake up blue bus when the time comes.

Reactions: Max H

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I have read many of your comments on many threads and I appreciate what you are saying and you seem spot on in general .
I think I might need a slight adjustment from the norm especially for the blue bus ...lol ...it is a heavy pig !!
...maybe I will come full circle.
Like you said tinkering is fun but also no one clutch setting is right for all ...especially with the weight of big blue ..:)

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
For sure sir. Was looking at Terry's site, looks like his kits for the northstar and premium come with a secondary spring. There's a lot of weight to get rolling there. Thats what i like about Terry. His kits are tailored to the machine and what types of rpms you want at cruising speed. 2 choices i see. Not a one size fits all kit.

Keep us posted on your progress. I 100% agree about one change at a time. You can get lost with too many changes at once.

Sure a lot different than clutching a 150hp 2 stroke sled. Lol

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Just a thought. Being its new. The belt should have left some witness marks on the primary by now. Take a look and see if its getting anywhere neer full shift. Maybe there's some binding going on somewhere not letting it shift out.
30 creeping to 50 just doesn't sound right to me. Even with its weight.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
@RJ
That's a good idea I have about 150 miles on it now and this weekend I was going to do some maintenance...especially open the clutch cover and blow them out. I will check the wear marks on the primary sheaves
Thanks

21 - 31 of 31 Posts