PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, I have a brand new 2021 ranger xp 2 door- runs drives great. One issue though, when I load the bed with gravel or full load of cut firewood, I can hear and feel a slip or popping noise coming from the differential- seems to be right below the floor. Good any ideas?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hey Guys, I have a brand new 2021 ranger xp 2 door- runs drives great. One issue though, when I load the bed with gravel or full load of cut firewood, I can hear and feel a slip or popping noise coming from the differential- seems to be right below the floor. Good any ideas?
I have my 22 XP1K crew and don't have that issue. Maybe you should check with the dealer since it's still under wty.

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
3,820 Posts
I think contacting your dealer for a warranty repair is a good idea, however, if you want to trouble shoot it yourself I'd star with the rear Half Shafts (called driveshafts by Polaris) My guess is a broken CV joint or shaft.
Unless things have changed OEM shafts are on the weak side. Stronger aftermarket shafts are available however I and some others view the OEM shafts as a sort of "fuse" or weak link that breaks before expensive damage is done to the transmission.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I think contacting your dealer for a warranty repair is a good idea, however, if you want to trouble shoot it yourself I'd star with the rear Half Shafts (called driveshafts by Polaris) My guess is a broken CV joint or shaft.
Unless things have changed OEM shafts are on the weak side. Stronger aftermarket shafts are available however I and some others view the OEM shafts as a sort of "fuse" or weak link that breaks before expensive damage is done to the transmission.
Would half shafts be the axles going to each wheel and CV joints connect them on both ends ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the comments! I was thinking the same way about the shafts. The issue is kind of out of mind since I do not hear or feel any noise or slippage until under the heaviest loads. I will circle back when I figure it out and let you know what i find. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
Reactions: Moffettt

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
I appreciate the comments! I was thinking the same way about the shafts. The issue is kind of out of mind since I do not hear or feel any noise or slippage until under the heaviest loads. I will circle back when I figure it out and let you know what i find. Thanks!
Sometimes, depending upon where the break is, taking a look at the rubber boots on the CV joints can provide a clue. If the part of the "driveshaft" that connects to the transmission spins and the part at the wheel doesn't, due to breakage, the boots will twist or tear.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sometimes, depending upon where the break is, taking a look at the rubber boots on the CV joints can provide a clue. If the part of the "driveshaft" that connects to the transmission spins and the part at the wheel doesn't, due to breakage, the boots will twist or tear.
Excellent tip, I will check them first! Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts