PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a 2021 1000 crew xp trailboss with 400 miles on it. runs amazing but im in MN. and when it goes below 25 degrees this thing will not start! runs amazing on the days it does start but really discouraging that it dont start when its in the 20's. any ideas on it? was thinking about calling the dealer i got it from but willing to save the effort of hauling it in. i run Premium 91Oct. never anything else. no idea where to begin its NEW cant believe it dont fire on cold days but will on warmer days(above 25ish) open for ideas or just take it in?

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Dump the 91 octane and use regular 87. Will solve your cold start issues.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It has been low 20's and in the teens here and my xp1000 fires right up on 91 octane . Think I will start buying 87 though like RJ suggested.Cheaper also

·
Registered
1 Posts
Higher octane is harder to ignite, this is true. That's the reason it prevents detonation which is ignition before the piston hits TDC. But hard to imagine 4 octane points would prevent running altogether. Having said that, couldn't hurt to try and really no need to be buying 91 anyway. But IMO there is something else wrong.

·
Administrator
7,400 Posts
91 octane has been causing common starting problems in cold country..

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I live farther north than he does , I run 91 octane { because it's ethanol free } all year , my 570 will fire on the third crank every time consistantly , if its in the single digits maybe four cranks { revolutions } it fires right off .
If his machine is still under warranty he should take it back to the dealer .

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I live farther north than he does , I run 91 octane { because it's ethanol free } all year , my 570 wil fire on the third crank every time consistantly , if its in the single digits maybe four cranks { revolutions } it fires right off .

I've never had a problem...but I run 87 10% year round. But there's enough folks out there having problems with cold weather starting who run premium. The switch to 87 and the problem disappeared. Is what it is.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I live farther north than he does , I run 91 octane { because it's ethanol free } all year , my 570 wil fire on the third crank every time consistantly , if its in the single digits maybe four cranks { revolutions } it fires right off .
Are you sure that your farther North then him? Lot of Mn. is farther North than you are. Looking down South across the Lake to Yooperland lot of "Sea Smoke" down your way this morning

Cloud Sky Water Plant Electricity

You all have gotten a lot of impressive snow lately down there and can have it :p Then again between Embarrass and the Falls we usually register as the coldest place in CONUS this time of year.

But yeah I agree with you 100% I run 91 Oct. ethanol free all year in my 19 NS and always have. Will run the same in my 22 NS TB when it lands in a few months. Take it back to the dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes i will get some 87 oct. in it tonight hopefully and let you know if that helps in the future. greatly appreciate the advise thanks everyone. and im in SE MN. to the other posts below

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Run it long enough to get the previous gas cleared from the fuel rail and let us know how it works.

Reactions: Jungleman

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Call me a pessimist but I bet anything the lower octane gas doesn't make a lick of difference . I've run high octane in everything , snowblower , chainsaws, snowmobiles , 4 wheelers , etc and they all start excellently in sub zero weather .

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Call me a pessimist but I bet anything the lower octane gas doen't make a lick of difference . I've run high octane in everything , snowblower , chainsaws, snowmobiles , 4 wheelers , etc and they all start excellently in sub zero weather .
Adam...POS POLARIS has been running these machines a long time on his farm.

Reactions: Jungleman

·
Registered
4 Posts
got a 2021 1000 crew xp trailboss with 400 miles on it. runs amazing but im in MN. and when it goes below 25 degrees this thing will not start! runs amazing on the days it does start but really discouraging that it dont start when its in the 20's. any ideas on it? was thinking about calling the dealer i got it from but willing to save the effort of hauling it in. i run Premium 91Oct. never anything else. no idea where to begin its NEW cant believe it dont fire on cold days but will on warmer days(above 25ish) open for ideas or just take it in?
Any time I wanted to start a motor on anything in cold temps, I would run a hair dryer on the motor for about 5 minuets any they always started right up. Things like my dirt bike or snowblower always started right up. I wouldn't use a heat gun. They get hot enough to burn things. A hair dryer is safer. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i had no issues starting my 2020 ranger northstar crew in northern british columbia over the holidays when it was -38c feels like -55c. hesitated on one crank but was then good to go. its also stored outside on the trailer under the trailering cover from polaris.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts