PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a set of black waters and cant decide on 27 or 28 for a '19 900xp. I will put in a 2.5" Marshall motoart lift for a little more clearance (this seems to be one of the more liked option in bracket lifts?) . Does anyone know if the black waters run true to size? Will 27's over 28's reduce the chance of axle failures a bit better?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Got a set of take 27" take off from a 2019 Ranger xp 1000 on my 2019 XP
The tires run 36 lbs of air in them.
Plus they are wider.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Cardboard, 37lbs is max pressure to seat the bead when installing on the rim. Hope you ain't running them that high. 12 lbs will work fine for most all situations and ride far better.

Reactions: jungleman

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
Although axle failures may be caused by applying more power to a tire with so much traction it won't spin before the axle breaks, axles often fail with lifts due to extreme angles which are increased with lifts with hard turns and/or suspension at full extension while a hard turn is made. Some lifts come with steering stops that reduce how far the wheels can be turned to prevent extreme angles and axle failure. Of course those stops also increase turning radius, which is annoying.

There is another consideration as well. Weaker stock axles act as sort of a "fuse" or "circuit breaker' in a mechanical way, i.e. they fail before serious damage is done to the expensive to repair transmission. That makes for sort of a Catch 22 situation. You can get stronger axles that are compliant with larger angles to prevent binding and breakage but in high traction situations where you might be trying to pull something or someone that is heavily stuck you may damage a transmission before the new stronger axle fails.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Says on the tires, just like any other tire..
To run 36 lbs in them.
They come with that amount of air in them when they was taken off. A ranger xp1000.

27x11x12 maxis tires

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Says on the tires, just like any other tire..
To run 36 lbs in them.
They come with that amount of air in them when they was taken off. A ranger xp1000.

27x11x12 maxis tires
Again, that's max pressure to seat the bead. Any more can blow the bead off the rim. Some young Yahoo at the dealership didn't know any better or prep the machine they come off from the factory.
Directly from the service manual.

Reactions: pyromedic

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think it depends on your purpose and uses. But 27s should be lighter and give you a bit more acceleration, better suspension with less weight, and better braking. Bigger ususally looks better and may be a little wider which can cause width clearance issues.

With a lift, you’ll have noticably more ground clearance than you have without. The lift alone would give you 2 inches or more which is equivalent to going 4 inches higher in tire size. I haven’t changed the tires on my 570 midsize, but just a lift keeps me from hitting the rocks that I was hitting.

If you consider it that way and the 27s and 28s are same brand model, I’d expect them to have only 1/2 inch clearance difference between 27s and 28s. So, you are comparing 2 inches of ground clearance compared to 2 1/2 of ground clearance. I don’t think that is that significant.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm a big bass fisherman.
Been going to these folks for at least 25 yrs.
They have taken care of my bass boats.
Including the 45,000 bass boat I have now.
They sell and service bass boats. And sell polaris.
They will take care of me if there is a problem

·
Registered
37 Posts
Guess polaris screwed up.

The dealership had these tires and rims as take offs.

I DO NOT WANT TO RAISE MY XP ANY HIGHER.
I wanted wider tires

·
Registered
37 Posts
You sound like you want me to go downstairs.
Get a Guage out and check the air in my tires that come from polaris.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I run 10 psi all four tires.

With the pressure you’re running it not only rides bad but you’re wearing out your tires. It is ridding bad , you’re just used to it. Set the pressure like RJ posted and it’ll be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
678 Posts
The 27" MAXXIS tires that came on my XP1000 are more like 25" for the rears, and maybe 26" for the fronts. Even with 20lbs air in the rears they are not 27" diameter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts