PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
18,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife, youngest daughter and I were up at our cabin in the U.P. of MI this weekend, and last night at around 3am I heard a scraping noise under the cabin. I woke Sue (my wife) up to help me determine what it was. We got up, threw on our sweats and mud boots, Sue grabbed the flashlight while I loaded the .22. Once Sue located the porcupine under the cabin, I laid on my belly to get a shot at him. Obviously it was pitch dark, so I was having difficulty seeing the sights on the rifle. Consequently, my first shot blew a hole through the drain coming from our kitchen sink [:0](looks like I have some plumbing to do![:D]). On the next shot -- with Sue shining the flashlight over my shoulder so that I could see both the critter AND the rifle sights -- I GOT HIM! Sue insisted that I pose this morning for a photo[:D][:D].

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
two questoins

1.)would the porcupine have gotten out on his own?

2.)would he have done that much damage on his own?

don't feel bad I put three holes in the gable of my barn for a snake!!

Mark

·
Registered
18,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh, don't get me wrong....I'm NOT into shooting 'harmless' creatures for sport! But the porcupines have been anything but harmless since we bought the place. As you may or may not be aware, porcupines dine on wood and have a special affinity for salty woods. That's one of the reasons they frequent places where humans have been. Any wood that has been handled by people leaves a salty residue. Furthermore, once they have found a favorite dining place, they typically re-visit that site until they've gotten their fill. We've tried various chemicals to deter the critters, but to no avail. A local guy suggested I use a .22 to fix the problem. Next time I'm up there I'll take photos of all the damage they've done to the cabin. They literally 'eat' the logs of the cabin; even though we recently installed 4 coats of stain and sealers. Unless the porkies want to pay their share of the property taxes, I intend to continue this method of preventative home maintenance.

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
Put up a salt lick away from the camp and that may help some. BTW Like Jerry said they taste good Randy, so keep plugging away even if they don't eat your cabin. [:p]

·
SSW Moderator
5,627 Posts
Sounds like a good reason, .22 shells are alot cheaper than replacing logs.

·
Registered
18,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by fiberguy

Put up a salt lick away from the camp and that may help some. BTW Like Jerry said they taste good Randy, so keep plugging away even if they don't eat your cabin. [:p]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Allan,

Another friend of mine suggested that as well, and we've thought about it, but we don't want to promote the proliferation of the species in the area either. Officially, there is no 'closed' season on these critters in the U.P. and that's no surprise as they are EVERYWHERE! Two of there natural enemies/predators are the fox and the coyote. We have spread dried fox urine all around the cabin and it hasn't done a thing to deter them (although it sure got our dog going!). We have also tried other varmint repellants to no avail.

G

·
Ran try sulfur I have used it on snakes, raccoons, armadillos, rabbits, deer, squirels, and chipmonks none of which will cross the sulfur line!!!!![:D][:)][:p]

·
Registered
15,400 Posts
WOW! Those things are alot bigger than I imagined. I guess just be glad it was a drain line instead of pressure line you hit, LOL [:p]. The closest thing we got to a porcupine is a Groundhog, minus all the prickly things [;)].

Brian

·
Registered
18,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by jerry d. bailey

Ran try sulfur I have used it on snakes, raccoons, armadillos, rabbits, deer, squirels, and chipmonks none of which will cross the sulfur line!!!!![:D][:)][:p]

Jerry....as I can see from your signature post, you have a 'best friend.' I assume the sulfur is harmless to my beloved black lab, 'Rosie?' Which, BTW, is another reason I want to keep the porcupines away. I don't want to be pulling quills from Rosie's snout!

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
Good shot Randy, them critters will make ya crazy if you don't clean them out.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Get ya one of those cheap $39 lasers for an air rifle. It does wonders on them night time critters....[:D][:D]

·
Registered
920 Posts
Randy,

Good shooting...
Well... Maybe on the second shot that is... [:D]

I have heard the same thing from many people
who have cabins in the woods.
(About them being a pain that is).

I think you have the right medicine in your hands
with that .22

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Randy, I didnt't mean anything neg about what I said I wasn't even thinking about porcupines eating your logs on the cabin I was just kiddin about hitting your drain!!!

Mark

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
Randy,
I think that if salt is the reason they're eating the wood a lick would be easier for them and they may leave the wood alone. Either way a lick is cheap enough and if it dosen't work on Porcupines it will attract deer and they taste almost as good as porcupine[;)][:D][:D]

·
Registered
18,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by JDJHNTR

Get ya one of those cheap $39 lasers for an air rifle. It does wonders on them night time critters....[:D][:D]

Randy...I assume this is like a laser pointer? And I assume one sights them in much like a scope?

·
Registered
18,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by poorfarmer

Randy, I didnt't mean anything neg about what I said I wasn't even thinking about porcupines eating your logs on the cabin I was just kiddin about hitting your drain!!!

Mark

Hey Mark...no problem. I should have been more clear in my original post about the reason we were taking this varmint's life. Believe it or not, they are slowly but surely eating the front porch off the cabin. We have two huge beavers living in the pond (they made the pond, actually), and I'm glad they haven't started eating the place!

·
Registered
472 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by Ran

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by JDJHNTR

Randy...I assume this is like a laser pointer? And I assume one sights them in much like a scope?

Ran, The ones for the air rifles come with a dovetail mount to attach it to your rifle and you sight it in just like a scope. Wallyworld usually has them for around $40. They will handle a 22 rimfire just fine and are great for night time critters!!![:D][:D]

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.