PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, I have a 800 midsize and last year hit large rock when plowing with the very right end of the plow causing a lot of stress at -30 degrees. It literally ripped the right side mounting loops where the plow goes in and pins hold plow on and tore the 3 bolts out that hold the lower bumper and plow mount on. I took this in for a estimate (estimate not done yet) but wondering if Polaris has any recommendation about welding on there frames? There is about a 8" metal tab with the 3 bolts that pulled out that is welded to the front of the frame there are all pulled through and wrecked. I will probably be turning this into to insurance. Should they replace the frame or fix it? What do you think? Thanks

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
You'll be down for a LONG time if you waiting for them to fix it. I'd suggest find a good fab shop and they'll be able to fix it better then new

Reactions: Rum Runner

·
Registered
74 Posts
I did the same kinda thing to my machine, at the end of the 2012-2013 winter during a late spring snowstorm I hit the edge of a sidewalk that had heaved from the frost. I had the plow turned all the way and ripped part of the plow mount on the frame and one of the tabs thats on the mount too. I just brought it into a welder a had him fix it up and gusset it abit and it's held up fine so far. I did however rip the front diff completely outta the front frame plowing last winter and I just brought it to a fab shop and they fixed it right up and put thicker steel in place. So far so good.

Reactions: mustangwagz

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
What did you buy the insurance for? You certainly can have someone weld it up, but what if other parts were tweaked? I bent my frame also and it looked like it would be a fairly simple fix. I took it in to the dealer and they (and my insurance company) called in a professional appraiser. Turned out to be $6,000 damage which included a new frame. As far as having your machine out of pocket, it took my dealer less than a day to tear it down, and 1 day to put it back together (with several weeks in between waiting on parts!). Paid my deductible a walked away knowing it was done right.

P.S. My insurance rates (Allstate) did not go up the next year - matter of fact, they went down.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Well you have a good dealer. It took my dealer 3 months to get a throttle body and put it in

·
Registered
54 Posts
I did the same thing only 800 XP. I went to the hardware and bought 3 grade 8 bolts with a nylon lock nut and washers. I bought them small enough to pass thru the current holes. Two years of plowing in N. Wisconsin and no issues. The dealers is mounting the plow mount on my new 900, I bet i'll be doing the fix again

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
Well you have a good dealer. It took my dealer 3 months to get a throttle body and put it in
Ouch! My biggest wait on the above incident was waiting on a friggin decal!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts