PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first guess is the ECU, but here's the problem.

No matter what setting it's in the front tires are the only ones that turn. One wheel drive, two wheel drive, or four wheel drive the fronts are the only ones pulling.
Once I was able to get it working by unplugging all the connections to the ECU. The one under the seat and the two under the hood. Worked for about an hour then there was some noises and bam the fronts were the only ones working again. Tried that trick again and got nothing.

I can even here the "click" when hitting the switch to change it to one to two wheel drive.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Caleb,

I responded to your PM. Sorry for the delayed response but I have been out of pocket all week, hosting the SSW Jam' at Windrock.

As mentioned in the PM, I can say with a fair degree of certainty that you have a tranny issue. The electronics have nothing to do with the rear wheels pulling, other than diff' lock.

·
Registered
13,044 Posts
The output shaft on the transmission has a roll pin that goes through the drive shaft yoke that leads to the rear end, is it OK ?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got your message Commander, thanks. I will check out all that y'all suggested. Thank you much that gives me somewhere to start.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oneal, thanks for the input. I checked the pin and unfortunately it looks fine. I'm going to start really digging for the problem tomorrow evening. But first, I wonder if anyone can answer a question for me. I think it could really help me pin point the problem I think.

The machine won't engine break anymore. Used to when you let off the throttle it would slow itself down without braking. Like going through the gears on a standard vehicle. Not trying to insult intelligences just being specific. Now the machine won't slow itself down at all. You must use the brakes to slow down at all.
My question is, does the ability for it to slow itself down rely on the "tranny" or the "rear diff?"

I think that is the key to me narrowing down the problem.

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
Unfortunately the engine braking only works on thru the rear diff, even though its caused by the clutches so you would lose that when you lose the rear ends pulling power. Jerrys probably right about the tranny, but there's a small chance it could be a rear diff issue also.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Will either rear wheel pull with the rear diff' locked (not in AWD mode)?

If one rear wheel will pull (assuming that the CV's are all good), then you probably have a busted locking gear in the rear diff'.

If neither rear wheel will pull with the diff' locked, then you probably have a tranny issue........but as Curt mentioned, it "could" be the rear diff'. Although the tranny is typically the weaker link. The tranny chain is usually the first thing to go.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, I've gotten to look at it pretty good but still haven't had the time to dive in yet.

This is the problem: Otherwise the Ranger works fine, shifts into and out of gear but the front wheels are the only ones doing any work, no matter what setting the 4x4 button is in. There are no funny or ugly noises. The rear wheels are turning, along with the drive shaft, which if i'm not mistaken is a good sign that the Tranny is fine. Correct?

I've checked the roll pin, it's fine; the transmission shifts like it should and the rear drive shaft is turning also. I actually used the ranger Saturday to do some yard work, with only the front wheels working, pulling out underbrush and trees. :D Kinda makes a polaris owner proud to know even a busted machine can still work better than some of the others!

So my real question is, is it "just" the rear differential that's ailing the Ranger and my tranny fine?

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
I have seen roll pins sheer off and still look good.
jack up the rear,tires off the ground,stick a screw driver in the rear drive line u joint so the drive shaft will not turn and try turning the real wheels by hand.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
mtimesplitter167 said:
I have seen roll pins sheer off and still look good.
jack up the rear,tires off the ground,stick a screw driver in the rear drive line u joint so the drive shaft will not turn and try turning the real wheels by hand.
Even if the roll pin has sheered, that should have nothing to do with power transfer because the driveshaft is splined. The roll pin only keeps the shaft from sliding forward or backward.....it has no load on it.

In a PM to him, I sort of said the same thing about the driveshaft.....only I told him to see if the driveshaft would spin with the wheels on the ground and the tranny in neutral.

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
How exactly do you know that the back tires have no power to them? The reason I ask is the front should not have power to them in 2 wheel drive, so there is another issue.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
carnivore said:
How exactly do you know that the back tires have no power to them? The reason I ask is the front should not have power to them in 2 wheel drive, so there is another issue.
I'm speculating, but I think that he can only get it to move in AWD......which would be the front wheels pulling. I know when I've broken my rear driveshaft yoke (3 times :oops: ), you can definitely tell that only the front wheels are pulling.....you get horrendous torque steer.

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
But he says this:
" No matter what setting it's in the front tires are the only ones that turn. One wheel drive, two wheel drive, or four wheel drive the fronts are the only ones pulling."

·
Registered
562 Posts
Wouldn't that imply that it is always in AWD and that the Ranger always thinks the rear tires are slipping? So the switch isn't actually changing anything. Perhaps a wire has been shorted to be always grounded or always hot?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Appreciate all the help guys! It's nice to know there are people to offer advice. I agree, it's a weird issue with the switch. And yes, no matter what setting only the fronts work. When switching I can hear the diff "click" so I would think the switch is fine but I do know for certain.
Yes, there is a lot of torque steer lol that's how I learned something was wrong.
It must have been a coincedence that when I unplugged all the computer connections that it began working again only to make a not so good sounding noise and then only the fronts worked again.
I'll try spinning the drive shaft in nuetral on the ground tomorrow evening, I should be able to start repairing then.
I wonder if maybe there is some kinda same mode it goes into when the rear wheels have a problem? Pretty crazy that other than that the thing works fine but I guess only part of the tranny could break. 4 wheel drive is a new thing to me so still learning exactly how things work.
Like I said when I bought it, better to tear it up in the mud than my truck! That craps really expensive lol

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
What I'm.still wondering is how you know the rear tires aren't pulling.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts