PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! My first post. Been lurking for long time just reading.

Anyway, My 2012 400 doesn't idle at start until it warms up. I thought no problem I will just turn idle up. Then when it warms up it idles too fast. So I turned back down. Then figured to just choke it slightly when cold starting and it should idle better, but if I do that it kills it. What I have been having to do is set on the machine until it warms up. That sucks! Any info on how to beat this would be greatly appreciated.

BTW it has a Uni air filter.

Thanks

Brian

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Holy cow, Batman......welcome aboard!
Sorry......I couldn't resist.:playful:
That's not a typical problem, even for a carb'd machine. I'd probably start by replacing the plug if you haven't done that already.
Also, how many hours are on the machine and have you had the valves adjusted?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
180 hours on the machine. Original owner had it until 100 hours so I have no idea if valves have been adjusted or not. Is there a thread here showing the steps to adjusting valves?

Also, the steering wheel is out of alignment. Bout a half turn to the right. Any ideas there? Got a feeling my kid may be the reason for this, but he says he has no idea why. I may need to check A-arms to make sure they are straight.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
I don't think there's a thread on here covering valve adjustment. Maybe one of the other 400 owners will chime in, but my guess is that the adjustment interval problem isn't until at least 200 hours anyway.

The steering wheel alignment isn't uncommon. I've seen many that way. Assuming that the toe in is adjusted properly and tie rod ends are adjusted evenly (same amount of threads showing) on both sides, the best thing to do would be to pop off the steering wheel and move it a couple of splines.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
There set lean from the factory and the Uni is probably making it a little leaner. You need to back the pilot screw out a turn or turn and a half to richen the idle circut up a bit. It will idle much better. If I remember right,(was on my 04 carb) its on the bottom of the carb covered with a brass plug youll have to get out of there. Go slow and drill a 1/16 hole in the plug...start a machine screw in the hole you just drilled...grab the screw with some pliers and pop the plug out. Now you can get at the pilot screw to adjust it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts