PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a 2019 570-4. I have a rattle noise mainly on deceleration. Coming from behind center of dash area it seems. I’ve checked u joints and other things. I do have a 2 inch lift and 27s but the noise started before the lift. I can’t tell if it’s a simple thing like a piece of Plastic Rattling. Or something more serious. Just curious if anyone on here has had an issue like this. 390 miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
373 Posts
Does it make a difference if you are in turf mode, 4x4, 2x4?

Dumb question by me ... have you checked the oil or other fluids?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hav changed front and rear fluids for maintenance and they both looked good. Changing 2wd or 4wd doesn’t change the noise. I’ve also silicones my brake pads stop them from rattling and that wasn’t the case either.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Check for something loose in your exhaust plumbing. Clamps or fittings etc. Engines vibrate on deceleration and a loose exhaust part will rattle when that happens.

Mike

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That’s a good pint I’ll check that tonight. It sounds more upfront but it could be traveling with how much runs front to back on these things

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
You need someone to ride with you to listen closely and hold anything suspect. The plexi windshield has been a problem from day one on mine. There are more, I'm sure, that I can't hear on the classic... What did you say?.lol..👂

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I may be onto something. I found the radiator was contacting the top support bracket on the drivers side. There are witness marks I tried bending it away and I think the noise for better? I’m going to put a piece of cardboard or rubber in there to make sure before I go further into it but I may have an idea now. And I thjnk it started when I put my tires on because they are knobby and when u hit the right amount of vibrations the noise happens. I did find that the noise deff does not change when in any specific gear or while riding the brakes so the brakes are out of the question or being the cause.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the radiator support didn’t fix any noise I had although it was deff rubbing. I put the ranger up on 4 jack stands to mimic it driving on the road. Put it in 4wd and drove it. I’m getting a clicking noise from at least the lf (can’t hear the rf while I drive it myself). When I turn it slightly to the left it goes away but when I started it back out it comes back. Does this sound like an axle issue? If it does I think I have two noises. One is the potential axle noise and another I think is simply the knobby tires vibrating all the body parts at the right rpm/speed. What do y’all think? I have a video but can’t post it

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I also drove it in 2wd and the noise is much easier to hear. It’s coming right out of the front diff assembly. Anyone know of a rebuild kit or am I stuck buying a 1000 dollar unit?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
You're going to have to get in there and investigate. Dont freak out just yet. Could be the u joint or a sloppy yoke.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I know when trying to find a noise the more you eliminate the better until you see it’s gone. Well if I take out the drive shaft then the front diff won’t b spinning. Anyone have any suggestions on how to rule some stuff out. Here’s what the fluid looks like and what I wiped off the magnet. I changed this fluid at the beginning of this year probably about 150-200 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
If it were mine. I'd get get it up in the air safely and put the power to it and back out of it and see what I could see. You'll be able to see if the yoke or joint is flopping around. Deceleration makes me think its one of the two. Heck reach in there and grab the shaft and see if its sloppy. Tolerances aren't real tight on these things to begin with.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If it were mine. I'd get get it up in the air safely and put the power to it and back out of it and see what I could see. You'll be able to see if the yoke or joint is flopping around. Deceleration makes me think its one of the two. Heck reach in there and grab the shaft and see if its sloppy. Tolerances aren't real tight on these things to begin with.
Thanks for the pointers. I have grabbed it and felt almost no slop if any. I feel no play from the carrier bearing. There is rotational play but from what I’ve found that is normal. Meaning I can spin it back and fourth a bit with out moving anything else. It’s a rattling chattering noise, ratcheting sounding even I would say. I tried unplugging the front diff connector to see if maybe it was half engaging or something but it didn’t change anything. I’m gonna try to take the drive shaft out and drive it and see if it goes away. When spinning the wheels by hand in the air it doesn’t make an noise I can hear other then the brake pads clicking.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just wanted to follow up on this for anyone following long. Called my dealer and they said a noise is a noise and doesn’t indicate an issue. Not a common complaint they have had he said. He asked about my fluid and I told him it didn’t have any chunks or pieces and only a slight silver swirl and he said it’s perfectly normal. My two noises are from the pads clicking and the front diff. I’ve found that gears were changed to square cut gears and the noise can be a by product. Just wanted to update what I’ve found. Thanks for all your help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts