PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

570 MS Ranger fluid leak at rear boot

3K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  miker570 
#1 ·
Hello all,
My wife just noticed a fluid leak on the right rear boot from the transaxle. I'm enclosing a photo to ask for help in 1) identifying where the leak is coming from, 2) to see how quickly it must be repaired. The reason is I'm not at home right now and it will be a few weeks of snow plowing involved before I will be there to look at it myself. I would appreciate your help in trying to figure out how significant this is as far as continuing to operate it a couple of times a week(if that) for the next 5 weeks or so. Thanks
Auto part Pipe

See less See more
#2 ·
By the way, this is a 2015 Ranger Crew EPS

#3 ·
Here's a better pic of the boot from the rear of the machine

Attachments

#4 ·
If stuff is leaking out, bad stuff can get in. I'd wash it off and run it to see if I could find the exact source of the leak. It may just be a crack or small tear in the CV boot. If it is the CV boot dirt can water can get in just like lube gets out and that could ruin the CV = axle replacement.

#5 ·
Great thanks for the response. I'll have her wash it off to see if there is a tear. The problem is I have no way to repair it until I get home. If she can find the tear in the boot, is there something she can cover it with until I get back home?

#6 ·
My guess what you are seeing is the trans overflow dripping on your CV. For some reason they route it directly over the CV boot.
I rerouted mine and put a check value to recover the fluid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#13 ·
My guess what you are seeing is the trans overflow dripping on your CV. For some reason they route it directly over the CV boot.
I rerouted mine and put a check value to recover the fluid.

You had it right. The boot was not torn, just had the overflow leaking down on it. Thanks for your help!

#7 ·
Well that would be great news if that is all it was. What causes that overflow? Just running fast for a while? So, if that is the issue it's nothing to worry about until I get home. I'll send this photo to her and let her look again. Thanks much!

#8 ·
I think it’s for trans pressure relief, and it will spit out fluid occasionally and is normal. They run it directly over the CV boot so it splatters everywhere.. PO engineering had a laps on that one. I fixed mine as shown in the pic and never had a problem again.

#9 ·
That looks easy enough to do when I get home. Thanks much for the info and support!

#11 ·
I couldn't make it out, but I will have the wife clean it off so we can tell. Thanks for the catch!

#12 ·
Yep BPS caught it. First bulb out from the trans on top.

#14 ·
I'm having a hard time with this. I can definitely see a tear in the second picture. Also, the tube coming out of the transmission is not an "overflow". It's a vent line. Why would a properly filled transmission overflow? The internal volume of the transmission case is huge compared to the volume of fluid if properly filled.

#16 ·
I'm having a hard time with this. I can definitely see a tear in the second picture. Also, the tube coming out of the transmission is not an "overflow". It's a vent line. Why would a properly filled transmission overflow? The internal volume of the transmission case is huge compared to the volume of fluid if properly filled.
A properly filled trans will spit fluid out the vent tube on the 570MS. It makes a mess. Why Polaris routes the vent tube over the boot is what makes no sense. There have been many posts here over the last 5 years or so noticing fluid dripping on the right rear boot or on the garage floor. I fixed mine as shown in the photo about 5 years ago. No issues since.

#15 · (Edited)
Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, I can see it also. Maybe just a big chunk of dirt and goo coming loose from the boot?

Attachments

Reactions: BPS
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.