PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I have owned my 570, I purchased it in February of this year, I have had an issue a few times where the machine won't start. It has happened twice in the last month and then once back a few months ago. I can best describe it as when I turn the key the starter just engages and the bendix doesn't rotate. It is almost like the battery is too weak to turn it over. This happened yesterday after running the machine for probably 30-45 minutes so I can't believe it would be a battery issue.

In all of these instances I was able to eventually get the machine started by turning the key off and then trying to start it again. It might not start for 4 or 5 trys but in the past it has always eventually started. I have an extended warranty on my machine but I don't want to make the 1.5 hour trip to the dealer if it is something that the dealer can't isolate and fix because they can't replicate the issue. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Since I have owned my 570, I purchased it in February of this year, I have had an issue a few times where the machine won't start. It has happened twice in the last month and then once back a few months ago. I can best describe it as when I turn the key the starter just engages and the bendix doesn't rotate. It is almost like the battery is too weak to turn it over. This happened yesterday after running the machine for probably 30-45 minutes so I can't believe it would be a battery issue.

In all of these instances I was able to eventually get the machine started by turning the key off and then trying to start it again. It might not start for 4 or 5 trys but in the past it has always eventually started. I have an extended warranty on my machine but I don't want to make the 1.5 hour trip to the dealer if it is something that the dealer can't isolate and fix because they can't replicate the issue. Any ideas?
mark, I would check all the cable connections first and then check battery condition with multimeter on DC volts 12.8+ volts/rev engine to 3000+ and look for 13.5 to 14 volts. If all that is good, you probably have a bad starter/bendix.

·
Registered
382 Posts
When I bought mine in April I had a similar problem , it sat for a couple days and wouldn't start , the dealer load tested the battery , said it was ok , I insisted on a new battery and havn't had any problems since then - get a new battery .

·
Registered
792 Posts
Mine has sounded like crap since day one - starter strains to turn over the motor - way worse when it sits for a week or 2. Installed Odyssey battery - no more grunting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Had same issue on my 14 570. Batt volts went below 10 volts on crank. Installed a odyssey 925 battery no more problem.

·
Registered
891 Posts
This sounds like a corrosion issue at the battery! I have seen this several times in cars also...clean the battery terminals, charge the battery and see if that doesn't fix things! It may still be the battery but I would try this first!
Back in the day, when I was young and foolish, (now I'm just foolish!), I hung around a service shop a buddy worked at and they ran into this all the time, BUT instead of just cleaning the battery terms they would sell a new battery or alternator to the customer! Several years later the owner and service manager were charged with fraud!

Cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine did the same thing. In my case, I found a loose connection on the starter solenoid. I ended up checking every bolt and connection on the machine and found at least 10% were left loose when the assembled it. If polaris can't manage to tighten exterior fasteners, it sure makes me wonder what all is not torqued correctly within the powertrain internals.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have one of these in my dash all the time , cheap and easy way to monitor battery voltage and charging voltage .

Stable Mini LCD Cigarette Lighter Voltage Digital Voltmeter Monitor Car Auto | eBay
Thanks for the link. Just purchased one. :encouragement:

Mine did the same thing. In my case, I found a loose connection on the starter solenoid. I ended up checking every bolt and connection on the machine and found at least 10% were left loose when the assembled it. If polaris can't manage to tighten exterior fasteners, it sure makes me wonder what all is not torqued correctly within the powertrain internals.

Thanks for the tip. I will check that for sure.

Also...the battery is clean and free of corrosion and the terminals are tight and secure.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finally got my plug in voltmeter. I installed it and then paid attention to the readings. When the key was switched on it would hold right at 12 volts. Once running the machine it would be around 14.3-14.5 volts. I could shut the machine off and then switch it to the setting where the headlights were on and the voltage would drop below 12 immediately. This seems somewhat normal to me but wanted to get opinions?

·
Registered
619 Posts
If your battery voltage is at 12V exactly your battery is weak. See the chart below for battery voltage numbers. Sounds like you are charging ok, which is good news. I will say that my machine boiled out the stock battery in short order. I had to add water to the battery to bring the level back up. If there is any sign my battery is weak again, I will be ordering a 925 odyssy ASAP. Most guys on here have reported a night and day difference between the stock battery and the new 925. These machines seem to be very prone to issues caused by weak batteries.

State of ChargeSpecific GravityVoltage
12V6V
100%1.26512.76.3
75%1.22512.46.2
50%1.19012.26.1
25%1.15512.06.0
Discharged1.12011.96.0

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If your battery voltage is at 12V exactly your battery is weak. See the chart below for battery voltage numbers. Sounds like you are charging ok, which is good news. I will say that my machine boiled out the stock battery in short order. I had to add water to the battery to bring the level back up. If there is any sign my battery is weak again, I will be ordering a 925 odyssy ASAP. Most guys on here have reported a night and day difference between the stock battery and the new 925. These machines seem to be very prone to issues caused by weak batteries.

State of ChargeSpecific GravityVoltage
12V6V
100%1.26512.76.3
75%1.22512.46.2
50%1.19012.26.1
25%1.15512.06.0
Discharged1.12011.96.0

Thanks. Are there any batteries that are considerable upgrade but aren't as expensive as the Odyssey?

·
Registered
619 Posts
Thanks. Are there any batteries that are considerable upgrade but aren't as expensive as the Odyssey?

Im sure there are but none I am familiar with from any first hand experience. If you shop around I have heard of guys picking them up for the $150ish range. Batterymart.com has them now for $162. I can tell you from several Sea-Doo's I have had that the odyssey batteries are a night and day difference over the flooded stock style batteries. I have not upgraded my Ranger yet, but there is the PC 925 and the PC 925L. The "L" indicates the terminals are reversed. I am still not 100% sure which one fits our application. I am sure a little research will yield your answer (or someone here who has one will chime in). The price is the same on either configuration.

·
Registered
891 Posts
any descent sized 12v automotive battery is going to be HUGE improvement over the stock battery! I replaced the stock piece with a 625 CCA deep cycle battery up front under the hood of my 400! One of the better mods I did to my 400!
Even with the bigger battery I would hook up the trickle charger from time to time since the 400 charging system was so limited! The 570 has a much higher output stator so hopefully this may not be needed!

Cheers!

·
Registered
194 Posts
This still doesn't answer the question as to why the bendix isn't engaging. The bendix (if like the 800 engine) is separate from the starter, and is a mechanical part, not electrical.

So IF the bendix is giving you issues, there is NO correlation between it and a bad battery.....UNLESS Polaris integrated the bendix into the starter in the new machines?

I just installed a new bendix in my 2010 Ranger 800.....same issue.....would spin the starter at times, but wouldn't crank the engine. New bendix off ebay and it works like a charm now!

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
This still doesn't answer the question as to why the bendix isn't engaging. The bendix (if like the 800 engine) is separate from the starter, and is a mechanical part, not electrical.

So IF the bendix is giving you issues, there is NO correlation between it and a bad battery.....UNLESS Polaris integrated the bendix into the starter in the new machines?

I just installed a new bendix in my 2010 Ranger 800.....same issue.....would spin the starter at times, but wouldn't crank the engine. New bendix off ebay and it works like a charm now!
Thanks for that info Frank, If you don't mind, what was the cost on ebay for your replacement bendix ?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

I honestly think it is a battery issue with mine. Basically what happens is the bendix engages but doesn't seem to have enough ooomph to turn the engine.

When guys put a full size 12V battery in....where do they install them on the 570? Do they add a battery box under the hood or put them under the seat?

1 - 20 of 58 Posts