PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 570 midsize has always been loud even with an insulated full cab. I didn’t know how loud until my last Apple Watch update added noise monitoring, and started alerting me whenever sound levels exceed 90 dB. Today I was cruising about 40 mph, and my watch started warning me of the excessive noise in the mid 90 dB range.

So today I’m trying to find ways to reduce the noise. First thing I did was to take out the seat back and add some 7/16 spill resistant (moisture resistant) carpet pad foam to the seat back. Only 60 cents a square foot at the local hardware store.

I also rolled up the same foam, wrapped it with black Gorilla tape, and filled the box area behind the seat.

These steps made a measurable difference, keeping the noise levels in the mid 80 dB range now. It seems like most of the noise is now coming from under the dash area in the front. Not sure how to reduce the noise in this area yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
216 Posts
I don’t personally have an issue.

If you are cruising at 40 mph, you probably should consider quieter tires especially if the noise is coming from the front. I think that’s a giveaway that it’s tires or drivetrain noise. If you haven’t added mud guards, I’d consider that and insulate them with sound deadening mat or undercoating. Otherwise, add sound deadening mat wherever you can get to.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tested the noise reduction just idling in the garage. Outside the cab the noise level is 77 dB. Inside the cab the noise level 65 dB now. A good 12 dB noise reduction.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don’t personally have an issue.

If you are cruising at 40 mph, you probably should consider quieter tires especially if the noise is coming from the front. I think that’s a giveaway that it’s tires or drivetrain noise. If you haven’t added mud guards, I’d consider that and insulate them with sound deadening mat or undercoating. Otherwise, add sound deadening mat wherever you can get to.
The tire noise from my Roctane tires is minimal, I was riding down a hard packed dirt road when my noise alert first went off. The noise is mostly from the engine. The changes I made have helped a lot. I agree adding some type of sound deadening mat or undercoating might further reduce the noise entering the cab, but haven’t come up with a good way to do that yet.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just a thought, do you have storage bins under your seat? Maybe you can add sound deadening mat there.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes the 570 EPS models came with the under seat storage box. It might help some to insulate it.

I had never paid much attention to noise levels before, but this new Noise app added in iPhone iOS 13 along with the watch tracks all your daily exposure levels and the alerts really caught my attention.

Long exposures of over 80 dB are not good. My 570 hits 80 dB at about 4800 RPMs. It was hitting over 90 dB at about 5700 RPMs.

These are the weekly exposure limit levels from the app. FYI.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I don't think I've ever hit that high RPM, but I just use it to run around my property and do work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts