PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is my 4th Ranger with full cab and larger tires. I have 28 inch tires and a DDP clutch set up. I do not run this machine hard and I only go wide open on the road once in a while. I tend to use low gear when off road to take the stress off....that being said, this is the first time I have ever broken a belt on one of our Rangers. Installed the new belt and rechecked all alignments and binding issues with no root cause found. Has anyone else had a belt break like this at such low miles?

·
Registered
764 Posts
I have only exploded one belt on a SxS and my setup was just like yours, i only had a couple hundred miles on a new belt when mine let go...

I was loaded heavy in pretty crappy terrain and the belt just kept getting too hot...i had to stop every 5 miles or so to let everything cool down...the clutch cover was too hot to hold your hand on for more than a second or two...when it finally let go it was in dozens of pieces....

So if the belt only had 5 miles on it or 5000 miles on it doesn't matter, if it is getting hot it is going to let go....the heat on my setup was great enough i always carried 2 spare belts with me, which is par for the course on a snowmachine but crazy on a SxS :)

If you have an IR thermometer try checking the temp of your belt housing throughout a ride and see if excess heat is building up...

My excessive clutch heat was the main reason I changed clutches again...hopefully the new one will run much cooler...

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What clutch did you switch to if you don't mind me asking. Like you I have never had a belt issue on a SxS but have went through a few on the snowmobiles. It appears from reading the duraclutch set up may be the long term resolution?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.