PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I’’m stumped. I have a 1999 ranger 6x6 that a few years back started backfiring through the carb and quit running. Well I finally decided to mess with it and put a new cam and rockers in it along with a new carb. Well I got it all put back together and when it cranks it’s not backfiring but air seems to becoming out the top of the motor back through the carb. I believe the timing is correct as the chain and it’s two dicolored links are on the two marks of the cam gear. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
7,985 Posts
Hmmmmmm, sounds like a timing issue to me. 180 of em...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How would you go about timing it then. Also the machine has an electric inline fuel pump that I’m not sure is factory. It’s also got a new carb on it now and it pours gas out of the bottom just like the old one did.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
How would you go about timing it then. Also the machine has an electric inline fuel pump that I’m not sure is factory. It’s also got a new carb on it now and it pours gas out of the bottom just like the old one did.
The use of the two off colored timing chain links lining up with the two dots on the cam sprocket only works if the third off colored link matches the mark on the lower sprocket on the crankshaft. This requires removal of the flywheel and the stator plate. There is a second timing procedure outlined in the service manual.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts