PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I'm a noob 2008 Polaris 700 XP owner. I bought a machine that has been cut in half with hopes of putting it back together. We have a large family farm here in the knobs of central Kentucky. I've been looking at different models of these UTV's for a few years now. When the current machine came along, I thought I'd see if I could build one to give it to my folks. After arrival. I think I'd be better off moving everything over to a replacement frame provided I can find one.

I can still part it out if it's not feasible. I don't have much invested. I don't know if I should look at it like a fun project i can upgrade as I do a rebuild or just forget about it.

WP_20141104_001.jpg

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
Wow. I'd like to see more pictures to know the condition of the parts. Why was it cut up?

Reactions: mustangwagz

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I agree with Curt...WOW! Frame swaps are not that tough but your problem will be how many other parts to replace, I'm thinkin you got a good donor.

·
Super Moderator
6,838 Posts
I agree with Curt...WOW! Frame swaps are not that tough but your problem will be how many other parts to replace, I'm thinkin you got a good donor.
This was also my first impression, and as Curt stated, would like to see some more pics to better evaluate the damage, to be able to give a better opinion.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This was also my first impression, and as Curt stated, would like to see some more pics to better evaluate the damage, to be able to give a better opinion.
Our government does a lot of mysterious things. I asked why they mutilated it and they said that it was a fully operating machine before. I think they mutilated it so that no one else would benefit from it. It low hours. I really want to fix up a buggy for the folks but I don't know if I can source a frame. They cut the floorboard too. Straight across. Here is a pic of the cowl.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Could it be due to liability fears? I seem to recall the US military cut up their M151 "Mutts" when taken out of service @ the end of their usable life due to stability issues.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could it be due to liability fears? I seem to recall the US military cut up their M151 "Mutts" when taken out of service @ the end of their usable life due to stability issues.
The exact words were. "This was a running working machine bought new for this facility. As far as we know, it had everything working but since we didn't want to hear complaints of something like a light not working, and claims made to refund money, we mutilated the machine." I do have to hand it to them though...they did a good job of mutilating it.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Recently saw a post of a full size that burned, near Indianapolis. I think it was listed for $60. Maybe still available.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Recently saw a post of a full size that burned, near Indianapolis. I think it was listed for $60. Maybe still available.
I could sure use some help from anyone willing to help. Where did you see this? I can't even find the parts wanted section on this forum. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
I could sure use some help from anyone willing to help. Where did you see this? I can't even find the parts wanted section on this forum. Thanks!
I think this is the one John saw. Unfortunately, it is a 6x6 frame.
Salvage Polaris Ranger 6x6 .7l 2 2007 - POLARIS - for sale in INDIANAPOLIS,IN,46254,USA | Used vehicles for sale
A new frame is going to run between $900 & $1000 - which may not be too bad depending on the condition of everything else(??). The same frame was also used on 2007/08, 500 and the 2007, 700. They probably cut the prop shaft also - new one is going to run about $225ish. Electrical and plumbing may be repairable. Roll cage probably reparable also. Throttle & shift cables?

Finding a salvaged one is going to be your best bet but it is going to take some searching to find one, but there should be plenty of them out there... somewhere! Motorcycle salvage yard???.

Here are NADA prices on a '08, 700. Looks like if you keep your total costs around $4k, you'll come out ahead!
2007 nada.JPG

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
I buy a lot of surplus from the feds, this is unusual even for them, items are handled by either the DRMO or an outside vendor, normally only weapons are rendered useless with others requiring an end use cert or other paperwork. After looking at the new pics this is doable, looks like they didn't cut the shaft as I see splines so you'll need the frame, couple of cables and lots of wire splices. Check the sell sites, I've seen frames on ebay don't buy one that's been burned heat does funny things to steel, and when you weld the cage back together use inner sleeves and do it on the machine for a better fit. Good Luck, mind if I ask what you paid?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
deff doable, no doubt. LOTS of us have had to put machines back together. hell....even try buying new parts if ya can.. Do research and cross refference part numbers. A LOT of parts are interchangable. Same frame was prolly used for numerous machines so get a part number and start searching. As Pede said, DONT buy fire burnt frames and stuff, thats a big no no. lol keep eyes peeled for a wrecked machine or something similar. it can be done but it'll take time and work. in tne end, youll have a sweet project that you'll know inside and out..and when someone argues that they KNOW they're right..you can tell em to wank off! haha

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I buy a lot of surplus from the feds, this is unusual even for them, items are handled by either the DRMO or an outside vendor, normally only weapons are rendered useless with others requiring an end use cert or other paperwork. After looking at the new pics this is doable, looks like they didn't cut the shaft as I see splines so you'll need the frame, couple of cables and lots of wire splices. Check the sell sites, I've seen frames on ebay don't buy one that's been burned heat does funny things to steel, and when you weld the cage back together use inner sleeves and do it on the machine for a better fit. Good Luck, mind if I ask what you paid?
$367 but I had to have it hauled in. I'm about $700 in.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
$367 but I had to have it hauled in. I'm about $700 in.
if all else fails, part it out!! for 700 bucks i woulda bought it too. ill bet most of us "DIY-ers" would have. I PERSONALLY think you did fine!

HEY, just saw this on ebay, 05-09 were same as far as frames go according to what i read so far.. look on ebay, there's a frame for 1000 bucks with free shipping right now.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Crazy. I have seen tons of demilitarized weapons but a Ranger? Looks like you got a deal, even if you have to buy a new frame.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Good buy, did it come through Govliquidation? I think you'll come out OK, anything less then 4 grand total and it's a steal, just don't figure your labor in that:friendly_wink: set the new frame up and start swapping parts. If your a good welder I might consider striping the cut frame and welding it back together.

·
Registered
45 Posts
If I were you, I would not put a penny in it until you found a frame. I have a 2009 ranger crew and needed to buy some parts, some new, some used. You can make money on it in parts for sure, but if you have the expensive stuff minus frame, you have options.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If I were you, I would not put a penny in it until you found a frame. I have a 2009 ranger crew and needed to buy some parts, some new, some used. You can make money on it in parts for sure, but if you have the expensive stuff minus frame, you have options.
That is the plan. It will be spring before I can start on it regardless. I do like to fantasize about projects though and window shop. Maybe by the time I get a frame, I'll have more of an idea what I want as a final product. If I'm going to build it back, I think I want to some upgrades as I go as well.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Crashedtoys.com usually has frames and parts machines. The also have shipping quotes. I think you might need to pay a fee to bid but stuff usually sells cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 22 Posts