PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone that has swapped a Regular Cab 800 ECM into a Crew Cab, have any up to date feedback? I have had my restrictor out since day 1, and recently put a slip on exhaust on my crew... but was wanting to get a few more ponies out of her... any real "seat of the pants" change? any adverse side effects? is/was the swap worth it? Thanks!

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No crew guys have done this? What have you done... programmer?

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
I believe a couple of folks have tried it and if I recall correctly, any gains were minimal - gearing in the 800 crews are a little lower than then the regular cabs. Hard to get much more out of the 800s without going into the engine with a cam and fuel controllers.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Seems strange... I know the gearing is lower in the crews, but seems like you would still get 10 more HP... 25% increase in power no matter how you shake it, right? or is there something else I am missing?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anybody else?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Then what Elise is the difference between a regular cab (stock 50hp) and a crew cab (stock 40hp)?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From what I can understand, besides the gearing and the ecm, they r the exact same... so tell me why changing the ecm will not gain the HP...

·
Vendor
2,177 Posts
From what I can understand, besides the gearing and the ecm, they r the exact same... so tell me why changing the ecm will not gain the HP...
The restrictor plate is the difference and slightly different mapping. Keep in mind, 10hp at the crank is about like 3-5 at the wheels

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Pulled the restrictor on day one... put on a slip on exhaust... I'll take 3-5 if that's the case...

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From what I'm gathering, no one can explain it...

·
Vendor
2,177 Posts
From what I'm gathering, no one can explain it...
I thought it got explained pretty good, only difference in the ECU as far as power is concerned is the 2 seat is mapped for no restrictor and four seat is. Actually the fourseat ecu will be quicker without the restrictor than with two seat in there, because the two seat would add more fuel and richer is slower. Also the fuel difference is only at slow cruise

So the gain comes from removing the restrictor not swapping ECU's or adding a power commander etc to it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So, to start over... pulling the restrictor and swapping ECU's will give me the power of the 2 seater... correct?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought it got explained pretty good, only difference in the ECU as far as power is concerned is the 2 seat is mapped for no restrictor and four seat is. Actually the fourseat ecu will be quicker without the restrictor than with two seat in there, because the two seat would add more fuel and richer is slower. Also the fuel difference is only at slow cruise

So the gain comes from removing the restrictor not swapping ECU's or adding a power commander etc to it.
That makes no sense to me... if I pull the restrictor out of my crew, swap in a 2 seat ecm, what is keeping my motor from being 50hp? That's what I want to know... they are the exact same motors, tit for tat, so please explain what/why/where there isn't the HP gain...

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
What Todd is saying is a lean engine runs better. That is true in most cases. The downside is in the summer months it may get hot.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I understand that, bug there has to be more to it... no way pulling the restrictor gives u stock 2 seater HP....

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
So, to start over... pulling the restrictor and swapping ECU's will give me the power of the 2 seater... correct?
Correct. It's the restrictor and the ECU. Mostly pulling the restrictor however I did the ECU on my 2011 800 Crew as well because I didn't want to worry about lean or not, however many others I know have not bothered with the ECU. The big difference is the restrictor.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I also believe the restrictor is the main deal... I was just hoping to get a real world answer from someone that may actually know the answer; (either nobody really knows the answer or Polaris is full of **** with their HP rating) pulling restrictor & swapping ECU - will it give you stock 2 seater HP? I have seen in this thread that it will only give you anywhere from 1-5 HP... and that makes absolutely NO sense to me... If you take both motors and sit them side by side, they are the exact same (inside and out), so why wouldn't the 2 seater ECM create the same HP in both motors?

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
Anyone that tells you 1-5 HP is guessing. I don't believe anyone has put their crew on a Dyno.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I agree... everyone just guessing... throwing **** at the wall, seeing what sticks. (<<<Hooked you up on that one Curt ;-)) I believe my thinking is legit, wish someone actually knew... either way, I will be trying it out this weekend. I obviously don't have a dyno, so I will be going for the "seat of the pants" test.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.