PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon fellows, first let me apologize in advance for anything I say and or ask thats wrong or has been repetitively asked already. I'm just signing on from Brandon, Ms and needing some advice that I know cannot be delivered from anywhere else more accurately than it can from here. Also, thanks in advance for your help.

I currently am running a Honda Foreman 450 that was my first ATV purchase in 2000. It's been awesome and was worth every penny, it is still doing great for the most part for a 15 year old wheeler. However, a wife, a 4 year old son, a 6 year old daughter, and one half assed blue heeler (wife's dog, I love labs) later, and I am currently about 4 years behind getting us a SxS. That being said, I am dying to buy a Ranger.

One of my buddy's bought a 2014 900 xp and its freaking awesome. So fast and fun and perfect for everything that I've seen. He swears that he has never been more sure of his decision on getting that vs the CREW. Claiming there's no way you can do on the CREW what he can in the regular cab. For starters, he doesn't have any children either, and says that in the woods you cannot get in and mainly OUT of those places in the "minivan" (CREW). his DOES NOT have power steering and that has been his only regret. Which should certainly make a difference in the handling.

Another buddy of mine has an older CREW and he agreed with him for the most part, saying their so much heavier and you need a bigger trailer etc etc. That the crew was great for fields and riding levees etc where you have plenty of room.

Then another friend of mine from Tx has a 2013 Crew w/o power steering and he has two kids, wife, dogs, etc and he laughed at me for even considering a regular cab.....

I'm in the landscape construction business and we live on a farm. Big trucks and adequate trailers are not even remotely a concern for me, so none of that is being figured into my decision. The Ranger will be used equally as much for work as it would for play.

Kirk suggests I buy the regular cab and add the back seats or "jump" seat he called it. To me, that sounds like a headache and you effectively lose your bed.

Any real world advice on the regular vs crew, the differences in handling, effectiveness in mud and on the mountains, would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I heard another guy say that the Rangers start out awesome and seem to start falling apart after a few years...I personally find that hard to believe when sales continue to be through the roof and they're so sought after amongst all riding communities..

also, sorry for the long post. Y'all have a good day and stay warm
Thanks again,

Mississippi Matt

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hickory Flat, Mississippi here, that is for my granddad 1890-1967. With your family, I would only consider the crew as your children will likely very soon appreciate an "adult" stock seat option. Yes, they have a slightly longer wheel base and turning radius; and they aren't designed to go where your 450 goes. Your friend from TX has given you correct advice.

Reactions: Mississippi Matt

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also have two kids and a dog and I went with a regular cab instead of a crew. My reasoning is that I would leave the wife at home and just take the kids.
I

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's freaking hilarious and spot on....I just have a lot of drinking buddies too!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yeah your friends are probably like mine and will not appreciate riding on each other's lap, so I would roll with a crew in your case. On the serious side the main reason I went with regular cab is I plow snow a lot and it is so much easier to see and jockey around in tight spots compared to my 2010 crew.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have an almost 5 year old & a 7 year old, and I got the 2015 crew for that reason. I have not owned a regular cab, but I did swap a 2014 RZR 1000 XP 4 for this crew, and I can say that the crew is easier in the thick woods than that RZR. We live out on a farm, and there is no way that I would give up my bed to have the extra seats--the bed is one of the greatest parts about the Ranger. Plus I am not too sure that I would feel overly safe with my kids up there like that. I am sure that if you were doing hard core "wheeling" then the stand cab would be better, but given that the family will be with you often, the crew is a great choice.

Finally, given that you have gotten 15 years out of the last one, your 19 year old son & 21 year old daughter are going to look funny squeezed into the cab of a standard Ranger in 2029!

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
You have a family. Get the crew with eps. Nuff said.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Go for the crew.. I don't have a big family but do enjoy it with friends.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Matt, let me start off by welcoming you to PRC. Even though I've only owned a RZR, I believe you would be happier with a Crew. There are times I would like to own one for their versatility. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
213 Posts
with your situation a crew... just like anything else, once you get use to driving it, you forget about the size. As far as dependability, these things have way more features than the old Hondas (which I still miss mine), so in my opinion the extended warranty was a must (although if you plan on modding it to the point of voiding it, that might not make sense)... check with your dealer with the things you plan to do to it.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Crew for your needs. Just look at some lifted with 30s on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Then another friend of mine from Tx has a 2013 Crew w/o power steering and he has two kids, wife, dogs, etc and he laughed at me for even considering a regular cab.....

Mississippi Matt
Here is another guy laughing at you for even considering a regular cab. I'm on my 4th Ranger. '06 Reg Cab ,'09 Reg Cab with jump seats, '11 Crew, and now a '14 crew. Assuming you are going to add a moderate lift and some decent tires to either machine, other than turning radius and super tight maneuvering (and I mean super tight), the crew is the the superior machine. For starters the over all ride in the rough stuff is better. The longer wheel base makes for less bucking and Caddy like ride. The longer wheel base also helps when maneuvering off road. Often your front tires are out of a hole before the rear even drops into it. Using jump seats in the back of the ranger stinks. Your kids are cramped, your cooler space is gone, and you have to pull the seats out every time you want to do some work with the bed. Plus where does the mutt ride?

I will say you will need a lift and some tires, in stock form the longer wheel base can hang you up on stuff, but once you lift it a little with tires you're fine for nearly all obstacles. For a guy in you situation, you would regret a regular cab from the moment you bought one to the time you sold it to buy a crew. I can't think of any scenario where I'd buy a regular cab ranger even if I didn't have 3 kids, I'd buy a RzR. I mean really, who even buys regular cab trucks now days? Why would you when you can get a crew cab for just a few more dollars. You might call me biased but I've got lots of time in both rigs and to lots of riding with crews and reg cabs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I recently purchased the 2014 ranger 900 crew cab . Just me and the wife and extra room out back is great for putting your gear, ie. kit bag , gun , extra cloths , extra company at times, etc. Can't imagine have a regular cab , would be tight spot. When going to the cottage we put gear and grub in back seat and gas , chainsaw , generator etc out in pan. Get the crew.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Post some pictures when you get her dolled up ( the Ranger that is ) :semi-twins:.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts