PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,708 Posts
The one way bearing was causing an erratic tooth count on the flywheel, for the CPS to calibrate with the ECU for starting?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
The one way bearing wasn't holding pressure enough for a smooth/fast enough rotation.
As every time it came up to TDC on a compression stroke it would slip(common noise for one way bearings going out is "banging")
Because of it slipping, it wasn't be able to spin the motor at a fast enough rpm to register to the pcm to fire the injectors.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I originally thought it was the one way bearing due to the fact that when turning over the motor it would "bang"
But, everything said that the coils get there reading from the same place as the injectors.
I always had spark at cranking.
So, that's why I started to lean towards and electrical issue.
But, after I had ohmd components out and what not, I went back to what I originally thought it was.....the one bearing.

·
Super Moderator
6,708 Posts
Good to know:

The 35 tooth encoder ring with a missing tooth is built onto the flywheel. The CPS is mounted above the encoder ring. During rotation, an AC pulse is created with each passing tooth on the ring. The ECU calculates engine speed from the time interval between the consecutive pulses.
The missing tooth on the encoder ring creates an "interrupt" input signal, corresponding to a specific crankshaft position. This signal serves as a reference for the control of ignition timing by the ECU.
Synchronization of the CPS and crankshaft position takes place in the first 2 revolutions each time the engine is started.
If the sensor fails or becomes disconnected for any reason the engine will stop running.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
That's a head scratcher for sure, would have never figured this fix. Must be a safety feature built into the ECM for a runaway motor or stuck throttle.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Not really a safety thing.

Every CPS, ABS, speed sensor works off a Hall effect signal.

It produces the most accurate reading at high rpms

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
This is something I would not have thought of unless I read the service manual. Thanks for updating.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Service manual didn't suggest anything about it either.

Polaris didn't suggest it either.

In fact.

The wanted to swap out a battery, pcm, CPS, Iat, TPS, starter, coil, spark plugs,and ECT sensors before going to the one way.

They quoted me $2700+ tax before they would have found the issue.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Service manual didn't suggest anything about it either.

Polaris didn't suggest it either.

In fact.

The wanted to swap out a battery, pcm, CPS, Iat, TPS, starter, coil, spark plugs,and ECT sensors before going to the one way.

They quoted me $2700+ tax before they would have found the issue.
What are you going to buy with that $2700 you saved?

·
Super Moderator
6,708 Posts
Great job on your part.
As Steve said, I had to go to the manual to get a better understanding on this, I would not have thought of this either.

I have made a mental note of the starter clutch banging as a cause.
Did you take any pics of the damaged part?

Again Great Work!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
That would be the issue right there

Fell apart right as I unbolted it from the flywheel.

You could tell it was damaged before removing the flywheel tho, due to the fact that you could rotate the gear that rides Inside of the one way bearing, left and right.

It should only be allowed to rotate in one direction and lock up in the opposite.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Glad you have it fixed, but could you elaborate on this a little more.
I do not fully understand, maybe I missed something in the thread.
Update:
The one way bearing was the issue.

Pulled it apart and the retaining spring was broken.
Replaced with a new one and it started right up....on the ORIGINAL battery.
is the one way bearing part of the starter? That is included on new starter? Having exact same problems been beating my head. Is starter easy to replace

·
Registered
1 Posts
My rzr pulses on both cylinders but does not spray fuel on one. Fuel pressure is 54psi. Cannot get started when cold. Could the one way spring be causing this problem.
Stumped!!!

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
My rzr pulses on both cylinders but does not spray fuel on one. Fuel pressure is 54psi. Cannot get started when cold. Could the one way spring be causing this problem.
Stumped!!!
Heinrict, PLEAse START YOUR own thread.................And no Polaris product that I know of has 54 psi as a good thing.....

41 - 57 of 57 Posts