PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone has experienced the following issues:
When shifting into reverse, the icon on the dash shows reverse and the detent feels like reverse but sometimes it isn't engaged or grinds before engaging.
Air box lid doesn't fit/seal very well.
Snorkel for the drive belt housing became a mouse condo.
Odd noise started coming from behind the cab, almost like a rubbing/scraping noise from the engine or drivetrain. Can't seem to duplicate it on the hoist.

Open to suggestions. Thanks...

·
Registered
514 Posts
I do have the reverse problem, sometimes u have to move the shifter up or down a little, the air box is a common thing also... Don't have other 2 problems

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have the reverse problem, sometimes u have to move the shifter up or down a little, the air box is a common thing also... Don't have other 2 problems
You know of any fixes for the air box?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Same on my 2020 570 FS for shifting into reverse from park only though. I shift from park to neutral then to reverse. I think the issue for me has more to do with a little binding from park mode. Like shifting my truck from park when on a slight grade.

Haven't opened my airbox yet but it looks similar to my truck airbox. Reinstall the cover slowly and carefully. They are supposed to fit right so they will need careful attention to get closed properly. Under the bed like that makes that task a little daunting.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've had the air box cover off a number of times. Made sure the hinge tabs were properly aligned and the air box cover was aligned with the air box. Secured both latches and still have gaps on both sides of the air box. I can see and feel the foam seal.
Thinking about ordering a new air box assembly.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Before you latch the cover down you need to push forward and make sure the cover goes down over the corners.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Before you latch the cover down you need to push forward and make sure the cover goes down over the corners.
Trust me, I have done everything possible on making sure that cover is aligned. I noticed the gaps when I was doing the first service on the machine. The cover did not look like it was hung up or not properly aligned. The curve of the cover does not match the curve of the air box.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The heat bows them over time, have seen several like that. I don't get in water deep enough to affect it, there's a filter in there for dust, you might could silicone it

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
It will fit down and seal if you put it on correctly.
See how the lid is sitting on the top on at the back of the box? You have to force the top back and slide it down behind that back side. It isn't supposed to sit on the top like that.
Hook the lid in the hinges at the back and lay it down flat.
Now put your hands around the front corners of the box and your thumbs in the corners of the top and force it forward and down.
Check out the thread below and look at the picture.

·
Registered
707 Posts
The first time that I put my hands on one of these air boxes I thought there was a problem too. After servicing many of them rocknroll is spot on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Seriously guys, I think I know when the air box cover is our on correctly. Not my first rodeo. 20 years as an ASE Master Technician before moving on to a Field Service Technician position working on equipment around the world. When I say the air box cover is properly aligned, it's because it's properly aligned. There is a defect in the cover. This was verified this afternoon by the dealer.
They are going to replace it under warranty.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Where are you located?
Maybe I can come by and put that cover on for you the correct way..
But I won't be asking you to work on my 570 Ace that has the same air box and cover as your Ranger.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Where are you located?
Maybe I can come by and put that cover on for you the correct way..
But I won't be asking you to work on my 570 Ace that has the same air box and cover as your Ranger.
Take it up with the Polaris dealer who are replacing the "defective" air box.
Thanks for the b.s. reply.
In the future, if you can't by an adult and accept that you may have been wrong, take your comments to the kids table fella.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I might be wrong.
I might not be wrong.
Good luck with your new cover.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Take it up with the Polaris dealer who are replacing the "defective" air box.
Thanks for the b.s. reply.
In the future, if you can't by an adult and accept that you may have been wrong, take your comments to the kids table fella.
I've seen them warped too, dealer replaced one for me one one time, and the one I got now not right either

·
Registered
373 Posts
I haven’t had the air filter issue, but going into reverse is inconsistent. I’ve owned my 2017 for 3 1/2 years, and it hasn’t gotten worse. I’ve tried to adjust it, but it doesn’t seem like it makes much difference. Not a “real” problem for me ... just strange.

So far, the rodents seem to like my Mustang more. Well, they only had a chance on the Mustang for one Winter. They haven’t tried to move into my Ranger, yet. “find some wood to knock on” :D

Reactions: nosam6002

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I haven’t had the air filter issue, but going into reverse is inconsistent. I’ve owned my 2017 for 3 1/2 years, and it hasn’t gotten worse. I’ve tried to adjust it, but it doesn’t seem like it makes much difference. Not a “real” problem for me ... just strange.

So far, the rodents seem to like my Mustang more. Well, they only had a chance on the Mustang for one Winter. They haven’t tried to move into my Rang

So far, the rodents seem to like my Mustang more. Well, they only had a chance on the Mustang for one Winter. They haven’t tried to move into my Ranger, yet. “find some wood to knock on” :D
For the mice, I've had some success using Fresh Cab in my RV. Besides nesting in my Ranger they managed to get in the headliner of my New Holland skid steer. They didn't chew on any wiring but they did ruin the headliner.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update on the air box... Dealer installed a new air box that seals properly.
Update on the noise from the drivetrain... Found the drive belt missing 2 cogs. Scuffed the friction surfaces on both clutch assemblies and replaced the belt. Noise is gone.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts