PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It’s been a year and 6000 kms since I replaced my 2010 800 Ranger with the 2014 Ranger 900, and I thought I would share some of my experiences. Except for 1 flat tire I had no mechanical failures.

The main reason for me switching to the 900 was the cab system. The tip-out windshield, premium doors with electric windows, and the Polaris heater provides “F150” comfort (almost) in all temperatures (30+ degrees to -30) and weather conditions. And with the seal kit, some duct tape and spay insulation, I was able to make it very quiet and dust proof (something that according to the posts I have read, few others have achieved!).

There are three issues that still irritates me:

1. The rattle in the front differential
  2. The meshing of the gears when shifting to Reverse and Low
  3. The air vents blocking up in the snow.
But none of these have caused any maintenance issues (yet).

I bought a new set of Prospector tracks last year because the old set would not fit the 900. I used my old Glacier 2 plow, but with the tracks it was not a good match-up. This year I have a new Glacier Pro with an extension and hopefully this will be a better system.

I have some pictures of my machine and the modifications I have made that may help new owners.

View attachment 6650 View attachment 6657 View attachment 6656 View attachment 6652 View attachment 6655 View attachment 6654 View attachment 6653 View attachment 6651

·
Registered
32 Posts
Like the mirrors. What brand are they. And did you put a backing plate on the inside off door before you pop riveted them?
Next up on mine is filling all the holes to keep the dust out.

·
Registered
125 Posts
They make a snow kit which moves the breather inside the cab behind seat. I think I paid $40 for it

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Part 2 - New Plow and comments

With reference to the above photos:
  1. Before receiving the vent mod from Polaris (shown in the last photo above) I had some success with increasing the intake area by taping a large filter to the small screen. This increased the time / distanced between cleaning. But ultimately moving the vent inside was more effective. I will use this again this year for the clutch intake. (On the new 2015s, Polaris has used the same approach with the larger frog skins.)
  2. Notice the seal installed on the window. The opening between the glass and the door panel is big enough to collect snow, twigs and mud. The solution is a door bottom weather strip applied with Velcro.
  3. The Glacier 2 proved to be good for light duties only. It doesn't work well with the tracks because of the limited space and it is several inches too high to properly adjust the angle (tip) of the blade. The sideways angle control lever was not strong enough and had to be permanently bolted in the centre position.
  4. The mirrors are $3 bicycle mirrors from Canadian Tire (hardware store) mounted on a stud hanger from Home Hardware. These allow the Ranger to just fit through the 72" trailer doors. Its held in place by glue that will break loose before the door snaps. The custom made plastic cover is missing.
With reference to the photos below:
  1. The Glacier Pro hydraulic control buttons, along with the inside cab winch switch, are mounted to the left of the steering wheel. Having the controls mounted on the gear stick was awkward for me, and these are conveniently positioned for easy access, leaving my right hand for steering. There is no chance for accidental activation of the buttons while shifting.
  2. Notice the outside air intake sticking through the park light hole (driver's side) and the inline blower under the hood. The hose terminates at the input to the inside heater. With the cab well sealed, and the engine intake on the inside, I found it necessary to have a supply of fresh air.
  3. The chain saw and toolbox rack blocks my rear view and provides too much weight for the lift piston when the box is raised. That's the purpose for the yellow sling connected to the door hinge bracket.
  4. I added a second pin for the tip out window to provide an intermediate position. The second pin is a door latch from an aluminum outside door.
20141021_100951.jpg 20141021_102523.jpg 20141021_111550.jpg 20141021_111731.jpg 20141021_111842.jpg 20141021_111913.jpg 20141021_111603.jpg 20141021_103827.jpg

·
Registered
88 Posts
That is a sweet ride! Thank you for sharing that.

t

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
awesome I always loved the look of ranger with tracks and plow workhorse T&S

1 - 7 of 7 Posts