PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I havnt taken pics but I thought I would share.... my buddy also has a 800 midsize an realized a power loss so bad it wont even hit the rev limiter in low.. so he figured out the problem was in the rubber bushing on the throttle cable right at the gas pedal . I thought for a while my ranger didn't have as much power as it was new well now I know why simple fix.. put a zip tie around the rubber bushing to keep it from collapsing problem solved any other guys have this problem? if not try it might unleash power u didn't know u had lol

·
Registered
542 Posts
first I have heard of this,maybe try it on mine.Pics please.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Would that be the case on a full size 800?

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Would that be the case on a full size 800?
maybe. So far ive seen this exaxt same setup on all the rzrs and rangers that use a throttle cable. the 900's use electic rheostat switches in the pedal. If you've got a cable, chances are you can get a little more outta it if youve never monkeyed with the cable freeplay. COULD be wrong if dealer setup cable properly from the get go, but ill bet ya can squeeze ATLEAST another 1/4" outta it...thats a fair amount if ya pay attention to the butterfly in the throttle body.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
It's not from the free play in the cable, it's the cable sticking making the rubber collapse to early. I've been fighting throttle cable issues since I got.mine. I didn't put a zip tie I just wrapped the whole rubber part with about 6 wraps of electrical tape to where when you push pedal the rubber doesn't collapse. Works like a charm now

Reactions: Rum Runner

·
Registered
177 Posts
Can you post a pic?

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Just look at your throttle cable after it comes off the pedal. There's a black rubber acordion boot that colapes under wot. If you stiff that boot to where it don't colapse you get a little more throttle

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
REALLY should make sure you can safely do this without breakign cable. by this im referring to pulling side off the throtle body and making sure that throttle infact CAN be opened more. Otherwsie your just stretching your cable and possibly ruining it. i put a hose clamp on mine. Best bet is to adjust out all the free play ya can then monkey with the rubber acordian thing at the pedal. If all else fails, the rubber would act as a dampner to prevent cable failure. but to each is their own..i warned ya. lol

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Yeah I definitly see what ya saying wags. I guess play with fire you gonna get burned lol

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ill post a pic tommro

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
lil more info on the zip tie mod... been getting in deep water a lot here lately an my throttle cable is hanging up thanks to that... so took it off at the throttle body took the little cover off an there was some rust on the cam in thee well while I cleaned an seal the cover up I checked to see how much actual play u have an well u have plenty the machine wont let you tighten it up to much without idling up assuming the TPS sensor is making it do that but sense I was playing with it I have a zip tie on the boot an I adjusted the cable at the throttle body tell it idled up the backed it down on mine the magic number it 1350rpm -50+50 don't know if its just me but after doing that I did noticed a improvement in throttle response I believe

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I dunno mine is 14

·
Registered
203 Posts
I am going to take a look at mine over the weekend. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Thanks to this thread I noticed significant slack in my cable assembly and tightened it up and put a hose clamp on the rubber dealie so it doesn't collapse as much.

The difference is certainly noticeable upon acceleration! Thanks for this idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mustangwagz

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Not sure if it applies to "ALL" models, but this problem goes WAY back to the days when I had my '06. I installed a small collar on mine to eliminate that bushing.

Reactions: mustangwagz
1 - 20 of 22 Posts