PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post in anticipation of buying a 2014/2015 Mid-Size Ranger Crew 570 EPS (my wife can drive it too). I live at 8600' altitude and plow snow on a steep driveway with two switchbacks. Currently use a 1996 Honda 300 4Trax with a 48" blade and tractor (when spring snow is heavy). Wondering if the 570 with a 72" blade would have enough power to plow my hill? Also, with four passengers and mountain travel taking us to just over 12,000', will it have the power to handle some fairly steep trails since some horsepower will be lost to altitude? Finally, anyone regret having bought the Mid-size 570? My old Honda has been bullet proof with almost no mechanical issues and I don't want a headache since we are 60+ miles from a Polaris dealer.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I have no 570 experience, but with the combination of factors you list, it seems the extra horsepower of the 900 would be a better option. I'm at 700 feet msl, and have no experience with that altitude. If you haven't already, maybe do a keyword search on "altitude". I have seen a few discussions on the topic that might be some benefit to you.

Reactions: Mtjag

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I really doubt the 570 will let you down. That motor is very strong.

·
Registered
642 Posts
The 570 is a very impressive machine. I use it a lot for work around my property, always have a full cab as well. The last trip to the park, with a full cab, supplies in the bed, pulled a trailer with my buddies ranger loaded back to camp. It did well.

·
Registered
764 Posts
If your 4 trax can plow your driveway the 570 won't even break a sweat...even with a 6' blade....

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have no 570 experience, but with the combination of factors you list, it seems the extra horsepower of the 900 would be a better option. I'm at 700 feet msl, and have no experience with that altitude. If you haven't already, maybe do a keyword search on "altitude". I have seen a few discussions on the topic that might be some benefit to you.
Thanks much. The search for "altitude" did bring up several good responses. It appears at my home elevation of 8600' the 570 will loose 13.76 of it's 40 hp which is substantial. Other posts mentioned replacing the clutch springs to those used at high altitude so the motor can rev higher to help offset the loss of 4% hp for each 1000' of elevation increase. Since I'm less concerned about speed than I am functional power for plowing, that may be enough to keep the 570 in the running. Still mulling it over.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If your 4 trax can plow your driveway the 570 won't even break a sweat...even with a 6' blade....
Well, that was my thought as well. The ole 300 4 Trax does have a creep gear and shaft drive real 4x4 drive, so while it is slow, it can plow many of our snows up hill. I have no illusion that when we get our two footer heavy wet spring snows, I will still need to get the tractor involved. I'm just hoping the 570 with the cab and 6' blade will do most of what I need done without being out in the open on a minus degree temp day with the wind howling.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Well, that was my thought as well. The ole 300 4 Trax does have a creep gear and shaft drive real 4x4 drive, so while it is slow, it can plow many of our snows up hill. I have no illusion that when we get our two footer heavy wet spring snows, I will still need to get the tractor involved. I'm just hoping the 570 with the cab and 6' blade will do most of what I need done without being out in the open on a minus degree temp day with the wind howling.
Yup, the 570 will easily push double the snow of your 4 wheeler with ease....if you are pleased with your 4 wheeler you will be absolutely tickled with the ranger...

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup, the 570 will easily push double the snow of your 4 wheeler with ease....if you are pleased with your 4 wheeler you will be absolutely tickled with the ranger...
thanks tjm...that's what I was hoping to hear.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
You may loose some hp with the altitude but what makes the 570 real impressive is its gearing. You think your 300 is geared low, wait till you ride the 570 in low range. Now that's a low gear.

·
Registered
425 Posts
My experience with single cylinders at high altitudes is poor. My neighbor has a 570 midsize and I have a 800 mid and when we are in the high altitudes he is always crawling up steep grades and I have plenty of power. Go with the twin in high altitudes.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, so since I've been riding a shaft driven Honda and am purchasing a belt driven 570 Crew, how often do I need to plan on changing the belt? Should I keep one at all times, is this the achilles heel of Polaris?

·
Registered
764 Posts
I keep a spare but i think most guys go the life of the machine without ever changing the belt...i never changed a belt in many thousands of miles on 4 different utv's until i ran big tires...

·
Registered
974 Posts
Ok, so since I've been riding a shaft driven Honda and am purchasing a belt driven 570 Crew, how often do I need to plan on changing the belt? Should I keep one at all times, is this the achilles heel of Polaris?
I think you are going to be impressed with the unit and durability of all components, but you mentioned in the opening thread "the dealer is 60 miles away", so I would likely pick up a few things and on hand, i.e., belt, spark plug, oil filter, oils for all components, etc.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks much for all the feedback on my pending purchase. I'm really wanting the 570 Crew, but now am thinking RZR 570 might be the better way to go since I can ride the USFS 50"trails of which there are in abundance around here. I also see they make a snow plow for the RZR as well so it would work for that as well. Still up in the air.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
My old 500 crew. A Beast!!! Loved it!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Shoulda never sold that one wes.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Personally if i had to do it all over again and go with a polaris, id go with the 570. Im really liking the 2015 cage design. Ive seen it on the 900's and holy crap, the accesories fit SO nice and are so clean its awesome. Everything fits inside the alotted areas and its just clean.

As for the rzr 570, theyre so small its kinda neat. i seen 2 this summer while riding. My midsize ranger even made them look tiny. For working, id go with the ranger all day long. For a small work machine id stick with the midsize ranger. If you plan on mainly using your machine for work, scratch the rzr idea. They'll do the job but there's not much bedspace and the bucket seats kinda suck in MY OPINION.

Power wise, ya you'll loose HP in high elevation im sure, but they make power commanders that im sure will fix that issue, and if its really bad, clutch is next choice. I love my 800, but all these new machines have motors mounted further back and are quieter and cooler in temperature. Like i said, if I MYSELF was to do it all over, id get the 15 midsize 570. Crew is to long in my opinion for ME, but man they look good all jacked up. hahaha. thats my 2 cents!

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Personally if i had to do it all over again and go with a polaris, id go with the 570. Im really liking the 2015 cage design. Ive seen it on the 900's and holy crap, the accesories fit SO nice and are so clean its awesome. Everything fits inside the alotted areas and its just clean.

As for the rzr 570, theyre so small its kinda neat. i seen 2 this summer while riding. My midsize ranger even made them look tiny. For working, id go with the ranger all day long. For a small work machine id stick with the midsize ranger. If you plan on mainly using your machine for work, scratch the rzr idea. They'll do the job but there's not much bedspace and the bucket seats kinda suck in MY OPINION.

Power wise, ya you'll loose HP in high elevation im sure, but they make power commanders that im sure will fix that issue, and if its really bad, clutch is next choice. I love my 800, but all these new machines have motors mounted further back and are quieter and cooler in temperature. Like i said, if I MYSELF was to do it all over, id get the 15 midsize 570. Crew is to long in my opinion for ME, but man they look good all jacked up. hahaha. thats my 2 cents!
Well, I think you hit all the right responses...without a doubt, the 570 Ranger will provide the most of what I need to work around the property and I just don't see myself climbing in and out of the buckets on the RZR. I do like the idea of tooling around on the trails here in the mountains though. I can still travel some of those trials here and there on the Ranger and carry more people. I do a lot of firewood here and snowplowing so it appears the Ranger will be the choice. BTW, what is a power commander? I've heard about changing the clutch for high altitude, but not familiar with power commander.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts