PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
following on the tire air pressure thread: the rear shocks on this 1999 have an adjustable base for the coil spring. i am familiar with this type of setup, as my 1972 R75/5 BMW motorcycle has similar. i tried to turn the base with some large channel locks, but could not budge the adjusters with moderate effort. is there a special tool or how do these shocks adjust? i assume if carrying a load of several hundred pounds of wet firewood, it would be best to compress these shocks by turning the adjusters, right?

thanks again,
~~~^^^larry^^^~~~

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
A spanner wrench is the "correct" tool, but a pair of channel locks will work just fine. Make sure that you spray some WD-40 inside the adjusting collar, and jack it up to remove weight from each tire before adjusting the shocks. I've seen a few collars get broken when trying to adjust them with weight on the tire.

·
Super Moderator
6,922 Posts
Pebbles, dirt etc, will build up in the radius of the adjustment collar making it hard to turn. You can wash it out or use compressed air to blow it out ( wear eye protection).

As stated you can use channel locks but the spanner wrench is the correct tool.

If you do not take the weight off of the shock you can break the adjustment collar or the adjustment collar tab that is welded to the shock tube.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The advise here is first rate. I started soaking he inside of the adjustment collar the night before, during my first failed attempt to budge either. But today, jacked up the bed to release the rear wheels. The left adjustment collar started to move and allowed me to eventually move it to the firmest setting. The right one, well, not so much so. I am using giant channel locks. To free up more working room I popped the wheel off. This allowed better leverage on the channel locks and she broke loose. Went to the firmest setting on that one too, and went to the woods to retrieve a big load of firewood. This old 6x6 is just terrific for what I am doing. I should have had one of these about 10 years ago.

All the best to y'all and all of yours,
~~~^^^larry^^^~~~

1 - 4 of 4 Posts