PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock 500. Thinking about clearing bigger tires with arched arms front and rear instead of a lift. Worried about steering problems and axle problems. I would love to get ideas, advice, do's & Dont's.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
What are you trying to build? Mudder? What size tires you trying to clear?

·
Registered
22,344 Posts
Ok, but I use the bed for hauling ladder stands and feeders etc.
Nice buck!
I don't use ladder stands, so those are a different story, but my hunting buddy and I will haul a half dozen climbers in and out on the roof.......and still have the back seat for backpacks and other gear. Guns go overhead, and anything we bag gets tied to the back rack. I'd say AT LEAST ONE ladder stand could be hauled on the roof.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I would think a simple lift (2-2.5”) will allow you increase the tire size with no issues and would not be concerned with axle problems as well.

·
Registered
22,344 Posts
Arched arms won't change a thing (as far as helping clear larger tires) unless they are also FORWARD arms.

As mentioned above, a 2" lift will help and isn't too hard on stock CV's.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm looking at backwoods arched forward and arched rear arms and maybe 28" tires. I want the most stable lowest center of gravity. I haven't ruled out a 2" though. Just trying to end up with a ride that will take me anywhere I want to go.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
You are not gonna clear 28s without forward a rms. With just a lift it will still rub pretty good. Unless you get a tire that runs short like the meyhams and mudlites. My suggestion is 2" and forward arms with 28" tires. Without the lift the tires just look too stuffed

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Littlebigrancher I see u run forward arms and. 3" lift on your 500 with 31 tires. How's your power? How's the stability on hills and leans? with the forward arms and the lift will I have axle problems or steering problems ?

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
As for axles I haven't broke but 2 stocks in 3 years, pretty good to me. I haven't found it to be any more unstable then when I ran 28" outlaw radials, has great stability. Now to the tires lol. Power is still great, the very low gearing helps that out alot, I just need a little clutch work for when I get in real thick stuff. If it has water in the mud, it'll spin em just fine, but I've been in some dryer stuff and it wants to slip the belt some. So far I'm highly impressed with my baby ranger.

Reactions: Rum Runner

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Oh and it's hard to say if you'll have axle issues if you run the lift km on. Me and my buddy don't have problems but some people can't even run a small lift and the axles pop out. I don't know what the issue is but there axles re several ways of fixing it if you do have that problem with yours

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I should be fine then with 28" tires. I try to avoid the deep mud anyway. Mainly want clearance for rocks and ruts. Are all the lifts the same as far as the way they go on? Spacers or relocating shocks? Any brands you recommend?

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
I personally recommend the satv lift cause its s spacer that goes on top of strut, it doesn't compress spring. The spring spacer lifts make the buggy ride pretty dang stiff.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Im a little overwhelmed at all the lifts. Some above struts some spring spacers. I've heard good things about SATV lifts and bad things. I've heard good and bad about highlifter too. Not sure which route to take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
It depends on if you wanna keep the plush ride or stiffen it up a bit.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.