PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently traded my 2014 Ranger 900 XP for a new 2020 Ultimate Edition Ranger 1000. We have found ourselves riding a lot more hard packed gravel roads, RR beds, and even a LOT of hot top. Up here in Maine a lot of trail systems are using sections of town road to get from trail to trail. I have noticed with the stock Maxxis tires they are smelling hot and obviously wearing on the tar. I am exploring the idea of switching to a more road friendly tire (and wheel combo). A friend suggested Kanati Mongrels on MSA M33 wheels......I'm looking for experience and suggestions on brands, sizes, places to buy, and so on. Thank You All in advance!

·
Registered
613 Posts
For a better idea, how much do you want to spend?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's kind of a tough question......I know I'm not going to get out of it cheap, but I don't want to refinance to upgrade. I'm hoping somewhere between $500 and $1000????

·
Registered
511 Posts
If riding the road alot, I'd suggest the sedona rockabillys, or the tusk terrabites, I have run them both, they wear great on the Rd. I currently run the maxxis carnivores that I love, but I've heard they wear quick on rds., Which is why I'm not recommend them to you, as far as wheels, go with a 4+3 offset, I like the msa boxer wheels, tusk grand Tetons, really all msa wheels, just my opinion..

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just recently traded my 2014 Ranger 900 XP for a new 2020 Ultimate Edition Ranger 1000. We have found ourselves riding a lot more hard packed gravel roads, RR beds, and even a LOT of hot top. Up here in Maine a lot of trail systems are using sections of town road to get from trail to trail. I have noticed with the stock Maxxis tires they are smelling hot and obviously wearing on the tar. I am exploring the idea of switching to a more road friendly tire (and wheel combo). A friend suggested Kanati Mongrels on MSA M33 wheels......I'm looking for experience and suggestions on brands, sizes, places to buy, and so on. Thank You All in advance!
My 2019 Northstar has Mongrels 28x14 on Raceline wheels and I’ve got over 4000 miles on them. Less than half wore out. We are on asphalt about 40% of the time. Keep 20psi in them and they last a long time. There pretty quiet on pavement also.

·
Registered
2020 Ranger 1000 XP
181 Posts
If riding the road alot, I'd suggest the sedona rockabillys, or the tusk terrabites, I have run them both, they wear great on the Rd. I currently run the maxxis carnivores that I love, but I've heard they wear quick on rds., Which is why I'm not recommend them to you, as far as wheels, go with a 4+3 offset, I like the msa boxer wheels, tusk grand Tetons, really all msa wheels, just my opinion..
I have MSA M41 boxer wheels and terrabites on order. The wheels have been out of stock for a little while.

Chris

·
Registered
Now a 2020 Northstar!
152 Posts
My 2019 Northstar has Mongrels 28x14 on Raceline wheels and I’ve got over 4000 miles on them. Less than half wore out. We are on asphalt about 40% of the time. Keep 20psi in them and they last a long time. There pretty quiet on pavement also.
Sounds like a nice tire/wheel combo, although rather high on psi? I believe my '20 Northstar recommends 12f 14r on psi. For me that increases trail comfort. But maybe your surroundings are good with that psi.

Reactions: FFFarmer

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank You All for the help!!! I settled on the Kanati Mongrels on MSA M33 Black Satin wheels from Rocky Mountain. I stuck with the same size as my stock tires. As my luck would have it when I started putting them on today I noticed they sent 12" for the front and 14" for the rear. Minor mix up and they are going to take right care of it for me and get the replacements right out. I'll post picks as soon as I get them on. Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mongols are very good , all around tire

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've had the Sedona Rock-A-Billy Radial Tires put on before I even picked the buggy up. They have been a great tire in all situations for me, no regrets.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The rock a billy and mongrel tires have tread patterns very similar to mud rated tires for pickups. They should give good performance on pavement and still do well in soft terrain. If I hadn't gotten the Maxxis Ceros at such a great price I would be running the terrabites, very similar to the mongrels.

Just about any radial should make a world of difference in ride quality.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts