PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brand new to ther ranger scen and i bought one a week ago 2015 900 xp eps.Dooing a deep clean and service and am looking for good quality aftermarket items listed below.

Ailr filter
Oil filter
Engine oil.

Thanks guys .First post.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
Do a search of this site, there are numerous threads on oil and filters in the archives. Oil threads are some of the most contentious and opinions vary widely.

Personally I like Amsoil oil and Wix filters but I wouldn't have a problem using Mobil One and Purolator filters. I believe thee NAPA Gold oil filters are made by Wix. I would not use Fram.

You might find some helpful information here:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

I haven't found it necessary to replace the air filter yet but I would stay away from anything other than a pleated paper or synthetic style filter. The oiled filters are purported to provide better air flow but with that comes the price of less filtration of smaller particles. An Internet search and a lot of reading will provide backup to that conclusion.

·
PRC Sponsor
856 Posts
Do a search of this site, there are numerous threads on oil and filters in the archives. Oil threads are some of the most contentious and opinions vary widely.

Personally I like Amsoil oil and Wix filters but I wouldn't have a problem using Mobil One and Purolator filters. I believe thee NAPA Gold oil filters are made by Wix. I would not use Fram.

You might find some helpful information here:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

I haven't found it necessary to replace the air filter yet but I would stay away from anything other than a pleated paper or synthetic style filter. The oiled filters are purported to provide better air flow but with that comes the price of less filtration of smaller particles. An Internet search and a lot of reading will provide backup to that conclusion.
Pretty much what Pyro said. I usually just buy the kit from Polaris though. A few bucks more but not that much.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I use amsoil for oil and oil filter. Not because it’s better but because I don’t like my local dealer. I know I know I can order online but just easier to tell my friend hey I need some oil. As for air filter I currently run oem. The only air filter I’d Run is oem or r2c filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Pretty much what Pyro said. I usually just buy the kit from Polaris though. A few bucks more but not that much.
Is there even places to ride in the French Riviera? That couple bucks better not be added to my next roof. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
749 Posts
We use AMSOIL in all our machines, 3 RZR's, 1 Sportsman, ! Honda Rincon
The oil and oil filter you choose are critical to engine performance and durability. It’s not the time to skimp on quality. I would recommend sticking to OEM type filters, not high flow or performance filters. With very few exceptions, high flow equals poor filtration.

UTV Lookup Guide

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Mobile1- 5W-50, WIX #51356XP oil filter

·
Registered
201 Posts
Rotella T6 Synthetic and Wix 51356XP for me. I run OEM style air filter off of Amazon as it seems to be similar quality to the one from Polaris at a cheaper price.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Rotella T6 Synthetic and Wix 51356XP for me. I run OEM style air filter off of Amazon as it seems to be similar quality to the one from Polaris at a cheaper price.
I have just seen recently that Rotella is made for gassers now. I change the oil in my Kubota spring and late fall with Rotella (I forget the #) but tractor supply has it on sale in the spring generally in 2 1/2 gallon jugs and I buy enough for a couple oil changes.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I have just seen recently that Rotella is made for gassers now. I change the oil in my Kubota spring and late fall with Rotella (I forget the #) but tractor supply has it on sale in the spring generally in 2 1/2 gallon jugs and I buy enough for a couple oil changes.
I wonder if the Rotella for gas has the same high zinc levels as the diesel formulation as the higher zinc is the reason for using Rotella?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
I'm with Marty. Polaris kits are convenient. A bit spendy, but how often do you change fluids. My take away from the numerous threads on this topic is, any name brand oil, properly speced, and changed per the manufacturer's recommendations will be just fine. Pyro's got the right of it, seems most members have a dog in this fight. Good luck with your decision.

Side note: I change my fluids every 50 hours per the extreme duty maintenance schedule and have over 10000 miles on my rig, and still purring.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
I wonder if the Rotella for gas has the same high zinc levels as the diesel formulation as the higher zinc is the reason for using Rotella?
I haven't checked the Rotella for gas out but if I had to make a wager I'd guess that the Rotella for gas does not have the higher zinc levels becasue the EPA would be all over them.

Higher zinc levels help gas engines with flat tappet cams live but most gas engines today have roller lifters. The change to rollers didn't occur because manufacturers wanted to change but because of government mandates to stop using oils with zinc and to meet EPA mileage goals. Since there is less friction with roller lifters the need for zinc in lubes is removed and less fuel is wasted on overcoming internal friction with an additional benefit of a slight power increase.

Looking a the Shell Rotella web site it appears that their new Gas Truck Synthetic oil does not come in 5w-50 so it would not meet the specs for Polaris engines. In fact, I could only find 5w-40 in their synthetic diesel oils. It appears that Shell has not chosen to get into the UTV lube market.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Rotella T6 here in the States as far as I remember has always been 5w-40 and up until the last formulation was certified for gasoline engines and formulated for use with a wet clutch and also met JASO certification for Japanese motorcycles so its popularity stemmed from it being a good quality oil that could be used in almost everything in your garage or barn, a fleet type oil.
Plus it is available almost universally at a very reasonable price (Walmart).
I have read that it is available in 5w-50 in Canada?

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have always found the 5W-40 and it has worked great for me. I go with the T6 because I use it in my pickup in the winter for easier cold starting, so I always have some on hand. Less different jugs of oil laying around. A lot of people are really persistent about putting a certain weight oil in all of their different engines, which is fine, to each ones own. I am a little different I guess, heck both my diesel pickups, all 3 lawn mowers, and both small block chevy enduro cars run on the same 15W-40 diesel engine oil that goes in the all the tractors. Never had a problem. Keeping it full of oil is the big thing, and keeping the oil clean.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Your Welcome..

1 - 20 of 20 Posts