PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some info on a trailer I'm going to build. Building a 6' x 14' aluminum trailer tandem axle for my Ranger 800 as well as other items when the Ranger is not on it. I'm gonna go off of my trailer I built for my hunting boat I built. The main sides will be 4" channel 1/4" wall. I'm debating on using 3" channel 1/4" wall for the cross members every 2' unless I need to go 4" with that as well. Going 14' do to I also use my current steel trailer to haul 20 steel material from the steel yard and the 14' plus about 42" tongue will leave me with about 2.5' - 3' sticking out the back end which is more than fine here in Louisiana.

So, I'm looking to get some info from the guys on the site that actually have aluminum trailers in this size. Not worried about the sizes you have if its 6' wide or more because I make all of my axles to fit as well out of 2" galv pipe. So any info you can provide on your setup, let me know. this 6.5' x 16' heavy duty steel tandem axle trailer is just too much to handle and move around.

·
Registered
451 Posts
1. Make sure that you put a 3500 lbs axel
2. Try to avoid a tall gate (the folding one breaks)
3. I find the tiny LED clearance lights above the fenders the most affective
4. If it's not too expensive for you then the Goodyear trailer tires ($110 each) are better than most and rated for higher highway speed.
5. It's always good to have a spare on the trailer, I placed it laying flat on the front tongue

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
473 Posts
One of my customers had a aluminum trailer for his Ranger. One neat feature was the ramp. There was a "trap door" at the back of the trailer and when you unlatched it the end of the ramp was exposed. You then grab the end of the ramp and step backwards as you pull it out from the trailer and it would stop once fully extended. Being aluminum is was easy to extend and put back. The only thing I didn't like about it was because it slid into a channel it would rattle on a bumpy road. It was quite loud but otherwise pretty cool.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I have a 6' x 18' all aluminum trailer I bought a few years ago. It doesn't have a gate, but has two ramps that slide into a channel under the trailer to drive on with. You pull a pin and slide out the ramp there is a channel across the rear of the trailer to hook the front of the ramps in at whatever width you want. I think the ramps are 2" x 1/4" angle x 6' long , one each side with angle like 18" pieces welded in between the two outside runners kinda like a ladder. Its very simple to make. Uses all the same material. I added more tie downs to the trailer once I got it. I cut pieces of 1/4" aluminum angle x 3" long , I welded them every 2' vertically down both sides of the trailer. When I load my tractor or ranger and ace the straps are always close to a tie down point. And as you probley know. New aluminum welds like a dream.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a 6' x 18' all aluminum trailer I bought a few years ago. It doesn't have a gate, but has two ramps that slide into a channel under the trailer to drive on with. You pull a pin and slide out the ramp there is a channel across the rear of the trailer to hook the front of the ramps in at whatever width you want. I think the ramps are 2" x 1/4" angle x 6' long , one each side with angle like 18" pieces welded in between the two outside runners kinda like a ladder. Its very simple to make. Uses all the same material. I added more tie downs to the trailer once I got it. I cut pieces of 1/4" aluminum angle x 3" long , I welded them every 2' vertically down both sides of the trailer. When I load my tractor or ranger and ace the straps are always close to a tie down point. And as you probley know. New aluminum welds like a dream.

All I use is 3500# axles as well as radial tires. I don't use normal trailer tires, had bad luck with them so i spend a little more to get radial. I also always use the led's.

And yes the new aluminum welds fantastic. My existing trailer has those same pull out ramps. If you don't mind, what are your cross members that are spanning 6'? Mine too will also be 6' wide but a little shorter for storage purposes in my shop. Most store bought aluminum trailers are decked with aluminum sheet or some sort. I plan on using treated lumber like all the steel trailers I've built. Just to save on some cash.

·
Registered
2,545 Posts

Here is a downloaded brouchure of the mission trailers like I bought. Mine is down back and snowed in. So hard to get to to get you any measurements. But the specs here might help.
Mine has a wooden deck also. When I change my oil in my Kubota I roll it onto the decking. I don't think the decking is presser treated or treated from the factory. Its thick like 2". The used oil soaks right in and isn't slippery.

·
Registered
473 Posts

Here is a downloaded brouchure of the mission trailers like I bought. Mine is down back and snowed in. So hard to get to to get you any measurements. But the specs here might help.
Mine has a wooden deck also. When I change my oil in my Kubota I roll it onto the decking. I don't think the decking is presser treated or treated from the factory. Its thick like 2". The used oil soaks right in and isn't slippery.
That's like do it yourself creosote!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stainless, that's exactly what I'm going to build. Car hauler type with a slight dove tail. There is no specs on that page, however I'm going to see if any info is on their webpage.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Stainless, that's exactly what I'm going to build. Car hauler type with a slight dove tail. There is no specs on that page, however I'm going to see if any info is on their webpage.
Also, there are some good ideas on the ALUMA TRAILERS like a tool box on the front tongue for some tools and a spare tire.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
It took me a little while to figure out what was up with the drivers side fender on the trailer. It has quick connect pins to remove it. So after some brain crunching I finally realized the quick connects are to remove the fender , drive on your car , open the drivers door and get out and then replace the fender.
So you don't scratch the paint on the 1967 SuperBee….
Mission is a Maine company and build all aluminum trailers. And I own two that I'm very pleased with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts