PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, I know - another titre thread. There seems to be a couple of new ones every day! I wouldn't have a problem if tires actually measured as advertised.

Here is my dilemma. I want a TRUE 27" tire. I want a 1" deep tread. I want an all terrain tire because I ride maybe 40% mud ( I don't do mud bogging, but occasionally get in floor deep stuff), 45% trail and the rest yard work.

I like the Reptile tread, but how do they measure up? There are a few threads out there, but nobody actually ever said what they measure. The Bighorn is ok, but only has ¾" tread. The Roctane looks good, but no solid measurements are available, .8" tread, and are expensive.

Anyway, anybody have suggestions AND experience with a particular all terrain tire? Remember, I DON'T want a true mud tire, DO want a TRUE 27" (or close), DO want 1" tread.

2015 Ranger 570 mid

Reactions: kudidl

· Registered
50 Posts
I'm running 28" GBC KANATI MONGRELS and so far love them. They are a DOT 8 ply tire not very aggressive, quiet, smooth, I have yet to encounter anything that they couldn't handle. I will say that I haven't been in deep mud with them and I honestly don't think they will pull very good when I do. What little mud I've been thru they do seem to clean out fairly well though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: wilfreeman

· Registered
532 Posts
Something you should keep in mind when measuring a tire for "true" to stated height...wheels! Wheel width can make a big difference in a tire's overall height. Most tire manufactures (whether they post it on their website or not) will know what size wheels were used when initially measuring their tires for height and width. If they don't list this information out right, it doesn't hurt to give them a call.

· Registered
1,659 Posts
I'm running 28" GBC KANATI MONGRELS and so far love them. They are a DOT 8 ply tire not very aggressive, quiet, smooth, I have yet to encounter anything that they couldn't handle. I will say that I haven't been in deep mud with them and I honestly don't think they will pull very good when I do. What little mud I've been thru they do seem to clean out fairly well though.
I haven't heard of those tires (The GBC brand isn't that common up here in the Great White North). I Googled them & they look like a decent "all round" tread pattern.

· Registered
3,789 Posts
only 1 inch deep lug tire I've found have been the Sedona Rip saw. but only in the26 inch.

Others that I know of are the Moto MTC and some other swamper (tractor) type tires.

The Moto Claws that I'm currently running I think were very near to 1 inch when new. but they are 26 inch as well. It seems that everyone is either running 26s or 28s, because I was trying to switch to 27s myself, but found it near impossible with a 12 inch rim.

· Registered
532 Posts
I know this is far from all the tires that fit your requirements but at least these tires I can tell you with certainty, measure true to stated size when inflated to the correct PSI and are mounted on the appropriate wheels...

Make Model - Sizes Tread Depth

Maxxis Zilla - 27-9-12; 27-11-12 1.19"
ITP Mud Lite XTR - 27-9-12; 27-11-12 1.12"
ITP Black Water - 27-9-12; 27-11-12 1"
CST Ancla - 27-9-12; 27-11-12 1.02"
Carlisle A.C.T. HD 27-9-12; 27-11-12 1"
Super Grip Super Lite - 27-9-12; 27-10-12; 27-12-12 1.25"

· Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
only 1 inch deep lug tire I've found have been the Sedona Rip saw. but only in the26 inch.

Others that I know of are the Moto MTC and some other swamper (tractor) type tires.

The Moto Claws that I'm currently running I think were very near to 1 inch when new. but they are 26 inch as well. It seems that everyone is either running 26s or 28s, because I was trying to switch to 27s myself, but found it near impossible with a 12 inch rim.
The Ripsaws were another one I was looking at (in addition to the Reptiles). The Ripsaws are a little heavy though - I guess all of that tread. They do make a 27 in 14"

2015 Ranger 570 mid

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.