PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my 400 for a couple years now and have decided i need some sort of shield. Primarily just to block a little rain when I'm riding. ( few gnats off the wife) I'm in Tx so a full could be a tad hot most of the time. The half windshields seem more appropriate but most i have looked at seem a little too low. I'm not too impressed with the folding. They seem kinda flimsy for the price. I also don't want to have to remove and store a windshield. I stumbled upon this one which seems to be a little taller. Has anyone purchased one? Any issues? opinions?Ranger Mid 400 500 570 800 EV 2010 2014 161 2" Scratch Resist Half Windshield | eBay

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have no personal experience with that particular shield, but it looks like it would fit your needs. It does look a little taller than a standard 1/2 shield. And the big thing is that it is MR-10 "hard coat" which will make it very scratch resistant. Further down in his ad he mentions that he can custom size the windshield as well which may be something to look into….maybe you can get a "2/3" shield made up. :encouragement:

Reactions: mustangwagz

·
Registered
60 Posts
Have you looked into the fortress full sliding window. Top half slides down no need to remove windshield

·
Registered
621 Posts
That does look like a decent windshield!!!

My father has the OEM one on his midsize 800 LE and really likes it

·
Registered
891 Posts
A riding buddy with an 800 XP has a two piece windshield that you can remove the lower 6" portion...That is the best ventilating windshield I have seen! You have full protection up high, no bugs or branches, but you get a great breeze when it's hot! Not sure if they are available for the mids but if I remember right it is a Polaris product.
Personally, I fabbed my own two-piece tilting windshield that the top half tilts out about 2". This works pretty good when it gets hot here...I really like being able to just pop it open without any messing around! Early spring and late fall rides can start out and end cold while quite warm at mid-day!

Cheers

·
Registered
891 Posts
One more note...If you go with a half or 2 piece windshield that is too high you will constantly have that split right in your line of sight! May not bother you but it was a lesson I learned with the first half windshield I made for my 400
Also, some half windshields come with a bit of a lip bent in the top edge of the Lexan to add strength...This also acts to deflect air flow/bugs like a bug deflector on a pickup hood...something to look for!

Cheers

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
1/4" Lexan MR10 with a guarantee for $180 - sounds like a winner to me!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I noticed they also sell a 3/16" for $130. I'm usually fine with no shield it is just the occassional cool snap and misty rain. Regardless of moving or not the roof does nothing to help with the rain in the lap.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts