PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New to the plowing market. Got the lock & ride system , with a 72" blade. Driveway is all staked out with high vis poles sold for such a thing.

Anything else I should be doing.
I'm use to a snowblower solely. It'll be used as well but plowing primarily.

anything extra to do with the s x s?? Snow worthy ??

·
Registered
762 Posts
Never get in a hurry, slow is always good when plowing. Speed leads to destruction of something, equipment, turf, blacktop, etc. It sometimes looks cool to see the snow roll up the blade and fly off to the side, but being mesmerized momentarily can hurt much longer.

Assess your plowing area, if your driveway runs north-south, and the wind is usually out of the west-southwest, plan to push snow to the east side of your drive, and beyond the edge of the pavement if possible. By not building a snow bank on the windward side you decrease the possibility for snow to drift after you put the plow away.

When the forecast calls for a good deluge of snow, prepare your equipment before it starts. I always clean mine the day after a plow day, looking for worn parts, fluid levels, hoses, and tire pressures. Top off with gas and it sits til the next one comes. If you park it in a garage, and have a battery tender, hook it up to ensure prolonged battery strength. Also, dress for the conditions, and have a back up plan. Keep the snow blower around in case the neighbor sees your done while he's still scooping the old fashioned way. Plowing snow can be fun, as long as you think about safety for you, your equipment, people and obsticles like cars, kids sleds, trash cans, and pets. Lastly, never push your equipment to its limit, or something will break, when you don't want it to.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'll second everything John said and third the "never be in a hurry " part.

The only thing speed does when plowing is make the part that breaks (and something will) more expensive or harder to repair or replace.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I'll harp on another point from John, although I use a truck it's imperative to push that first snow as far back as possible to make room for additional snows.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sounds like the same plow I have on my 800crew if you have the manual angle adjuster there is a shear pin under the spring loaded handle this will shear if you hit something solid ie rock in the road get a spare or 2 as they are real easy to replace and they are only about $5 so you can continue plowing with a smile

1 - 6 of 6 Posts