PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put in new front bearings in the '05 Ranger 4x4. After installing the strut housing onto the ball joint and tie rod, I slipped the rotor and hub over the spindle but it didn't go on enough to even catch one thread on the castle nut (it was flush). After tapping it with a rubber mallet and rocking it a little, I pulled it off to see what was up. When I pulled it away, I saw ball bearings. Here are some pics of what I've got. Never had a bearing come apart on me before. Does this happen often (ever?) with ranger bearings?? BTW, this is (was) a Gorilla Power HD bearing from Rocky Mountain Bearings.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
It happens. You should be able to press that inner race back in with your thumbs and it'll be fine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks BPS, that's what I was hoping to hear. Now that I've taken a closer look at the bearing, I can see that the 'spring' that sits in the rubber seal is missing. I can't see that holding the whole thing together, but it's not there. Most bearings I've changed out in my trucks and cars haven't been sealed (incased), but I've never seen one part like this before with the sealed, closed bearings. One thing I noticed was some grease squeezing out of the interior center, where the two halves meet. Was going to take it down to the local dealer, buy a new bearing and have them press it in for me. Although I use an industrial type impact socket as a driver for them, I'm kind of leery of driving another one into this rig. Thanks again. Lee

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
This has been posted many times, but freezing the bearing makes it much easier to install. The fact that these bearings have 2 inner bearing races and that little crease between the two makes them not truly sealed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Froze em and heated the housing.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, so I wrote Rocky Mountain Bearings and told them what happened. I told them the driver's side is in the housing already, but I'm concerned about the other one doing the same thing, which would mean taking off and re-working 2 separate front end halfs. Someone there wrote me back and said, "
"Sir, You can't install bearings and then pull the hub back off. Obviously they will separate. Have an experienced installer install your bearings.
You can return the rear to us. Thanks" To which I replied that the original Polaris bearings came out fine, and in one piece. I also told them I'm a 62 year old Ironworker that's been working on my own vehicles since I was 16, and I've pulled plenty of bearings with out them falling apart over the years, including on my '03 Indian Chief and many trucks and cars. So, is this true? Are these bearings made to split in half every time you pull the hub?? Never heard that one before. But it's ok if I send the rears back. Nothing about sending a replacement or a refund. What BS.

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Yep it happens.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
So according to Rocky Mountain bearings, you can never remove your hubs without replacing the wheel bearings? I'm not buying that. There are many times you might need to remove a hub without disturbing the wheel bearing. I've never had any issues removing the hubs from my old 800, but I have had a bearing separate during replacement.

·
6,910 Posts
Yep, I have had it happen a couple of times. Rocky Mountain Bearings should not have their receptionist diagnosing possible technical difficulties . Especially with Go Rilla wheel bearings. Gotta woonder how much more they cost with Go Rilla on the package:cautious:

Reactions: Mossy700

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got a long reply this morning from 'Rocky' telling me they didn't mean to be disrespectful. Didn't read the rest, just told them I'm sending all four back because now, I don't trust their stuff. Like I said, the original Polaris bearings came out in great shape after 15 years. Wish I'd have kept them. I'm just changing them out since I had my a arm bushings out to change. (They were shot), I wanted to replace everything at once so I wouldn't have to tear it apart in the middle of working on building a house at the property this summer. Thanks everybody. Now that it's turned hot here in Missouri, it's time to get back out and pull the housings back off and get those 'one time use' bearings out of there.

Reactions: Pwez and Mossy700

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
I pushed my one bearing apart hydraulically over greasing the bearing , last February I replaced all four with OEM heavy duty bearings .

·
Registered
18 Posts
Glad to know. I think you know a better bearing to use and Dave’s bushings are spot on. Good luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just put in new front bearings in the '05 Ranger 4x4. After installing the strut housing onto the ball joint and tie rod, I slipped the rotor and hub over the spindle but it didn't go on enough to even catch one thread on the castle nut (it was flush). After tapping it with a rubber mallet and rocking it a little, I pulled it off to see what was up. When I pulled it away, I saw ball bearings. Here are some pics of what I've got. Never had a bearing come apart on me before. Does this happen often (ever?) with ranger bearings?? BTW, this is (was) a Gorilla Power HD bearing from Rocky Mountain Bearings.
View attachment 136250 View attachment 136251
No

·
Registered
‘07 700xp
9 Posts
I haven’t needed to mess with Ranger bearings but any street car with sealed bearings need the hub pressed in/out. Bearings always come apart when hub is pressed out.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
The ranger wheel bearings are a double row ball bearing with 2 inner races and a single outer race. What happens sometimes one of the inner races is stuck to the hub and pulls out when the hub is removed from the wheel bearing assembly. You should normally be able to remove the hub without disturbing the wheel bearing which is pressed into the carrier assembly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts