PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the new Ranger 1000 taking the place of the good old Ranger 900 has anyone done a side by side comparison of the 2?......... Drag race comparing power? Is the ride, comfort, storage and extra width make it better? I'm just curious. With Polaris making a Ranger XP 1000 and then a Ranger 1000 seem confusing, considering the next step down in a full size is the VERY basic Ranger 570? Just wondering what people think.......

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Yeah, I have.
And? ........What were your thoughts?

I personally like the front end a little better on the Ranger 1000 over the Ranger XP 1000. I also like the under seat storage over the flip up seating.

I was more interested in the clutching and power difference over the 900. The 900 has 68 hp and 53 lb ft of torque. While the 1000 has 61 hp and 55 lb ft of torque. Also the base 1000 is about 100 lbs heavier than the base 900.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I done a little Comparing before I bought my 1000 XP, I looked at 900 and regular 1000, 900 had alot more speed outta hole, but 1000 had alot more torque outta hole, 1000 rides 100% better. Top ends were close, 1000 more pulling power. Alot more leg room in 1000, I believe the 1000to be alot more machine with no disrespect to the 900, I've owned one and was very pleased with it also

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info! I've looked at the machines side by side but they were just sitting at the dealer, I didn't drive anything. I've had a couple of 900 Rangers and loved them. I have a Ranger crew 1000 now and I'm afraid if I ever go back to a non crew Ranger the extra Hp has spoiled me and I couldn't go back to the regular Ranger 1000 and would have to stay with the XP.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thanks for the info! I've looked at the machines side by side but they were just sitting at the dealer, I didn't drive anything. I've had a couple of 900 Rangers and loved them. I have a Ranger crew 1000 now and I'm afraid if I ever go back to a non crew Ranger the extra Hp has spoiled me and I couldn't go back to the regular Ranger 1000 and would have to stay with the XP.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
120 Posts
Watched the video

Why would anyone buy the premium at $15,000 when you can buy an XP for $1000 more?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I could make the ultimate Ranger for me. I'd take the front end, bed and under seat storage off the Ranger 1000 and put it on the chassis of the Ranger XP 1000. While the Ranger 1000 looks similar to XP 1000 I think its far more appealing than the XP 1000. I use my Ranger for farm work first and trail riding second. So the under seat storage for tools and a bed without the painted inserts on the bed sides would be my first choice.
And while I'm wishing......I wish Polaris would put the 570 engine back into the same chassis as the 900 Ranger. Have a 570 base model with the profit cab, the Ranger 1000 and then the XP 1000.

·
Registered
423 Posts
If I could make the ultimate Ranger for me. I'd take the front end, bed and under seat storage off the Ranger 1000 and put it on the chassis of the Ranger XP 1000. While the Ranger 1000 looks similar to XP 1000 I think its far more appealing than the XP 1000. I use my Ranger for farm work first and trail riding second. So the under seat storage for tools and a bed without the painted inserts on the bed sides would be my first choice.
And while I'm wishing......I wish Polaris would put the 570 engine back into the same chassis as the 900 Ranger. Have a 570 base model with the profit cab, the Ranger 1000 and then the XP 1000.
I had the 2016 570XP and I regret that I traded it in.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
I have as 2015 Ranger 570 Full Size (XP Style Chassis) and my dad just got a 2019 Northstar which is the 1000. My 570 handles everything I throw at it as a utility vehicle and you can never use the full power of the 1000 where I live. The 570 will spin the tires before the engine runs out of power if you're pulling a load. That said, the Northstar has a lot of features that are much nicer than my 570FS. My doors are the old style with windows that flip out, the Northstar has roll down windows. There is better use of under seat room on the Northstar than on my 570 as far as I'm concerned. I can put a chainsaw in the case in the cab of the northstar or a 5 gallon bucket under the passenger seat. My 570 only has a compartment under the seat. I've added power steering and a heater to my 570 so comparing that to the Northstar is a wash other than for appearance sake. The Northstar is like a car inside and much better sealed from dust and outside air than my 570, although that probably isn't the case on the standard 1000. I like my Duraclutch compared to that on the Northstar as well. The 1000 on the Northstar is quieter than my 570, but not tremendously so. The Northstar has more ground clearance than my 570 but a 2" bracket lift makes it about the same.
I realize I'm comparing a lot of apples and oranges here but you did mention a 570 so I thought I'd add my observations.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I had a 2009 Ranger 700 and it did everything I needed on the farm hauling and towing a trailer, and I think the 700 was around 40hp? Our family takes the Ranger every summer out to the mountains and in the past my 700 struggled out there on steep climbs above 10,000ft. Last summer we took my Ranger Crew 1000 (82hp) and with 4 people in it and a bed full of gear the engine didn't seem to struggle at all. But boy I had to be careful going down steep descents not getting the brakes hot. You really had to watch your speed and keep it slow, the crew fully loaded going down the trail is close to 3000lbs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just purchased the regular 2020 ranger 1000 crew premium in October. I really like it coming from a 2014 900 xp regular cab the power seems comparable to me

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I stopped by my local dealer this weekend. I wanted to test drive a 900 and a 1000 side by side before my dealer sold through all of his 900's but couldn't because it was raining. I talked to a salesman, he's been at the dealer a long time and sold me my last 3 Rangers. He's always been a straight shooter to me. He said the Ranger 900 will beat the new Ranger 1000 in a drag race.....not sure how far they ran them, but he said the 900 had more pep. He said the Ranger 1000 had better clutch engagement and wasn't as jerky as the 900. He said (and this was his opinion) he thought the new Ranger 1000 had better clutching than the XP 1000, but then again that was his opinion.
He said some customers are getting confused when comparing the Ranger 1000 to the Ranger XP 1000. Everyone wants the price on the Ranger 1000 but wants the power of the XP 1000. LOL!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts