PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to go to Windrock this weekend. This will be my first time there. Anyone else around there this weekend?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's awesome! I'll be staying at the campground up there sat-mon. Let me know when you'll be there. I'd love to ride with someone who is familiar with the area.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
If you have never been to the area you are in for a treat. First, how many in your group or is it just you alone? How many days are you planning on riding? Have you ever ridden in rocks and mountains? What are you accommodation plans? There are has 3 major riding areas that all connect but require different permits and fees. You have Windrock, which I believe is a fee per person per and is only good for Windrock. Brimestone similar, others may chime in to add. The 3rd and largest riding area is the North Cumberland WMAs, New River, Royal Blue, Sunquist and Tackett Creek, which together is over well over a 100,000 acres, lol. I assume you are not a TN resident, so that matters on your permit cost but the NCWMA permit covers all of its areas and is $108 per machine, not person, and is good till March of next year. If you are a first timer and especially if you are alone or a small group I would recommend Royal Blue on the east side of I-75. The trails there are considered the least challenging and the best marked and they have really good maps.

·
Registered
22,344 Posts
Anyone know how Brimstone is compared to Windrock ?
Same terrain (just the other side of the mountain), with some more extreme trails. Some are probably a little TOO extreme unless you're a seasoned rider in the very off-camber stuff.

Down side is that you need a separate permit:apologetic:.....and I'm not a fan of the folks that run Brimstone (long story), so I don't go over there very often.

Send me a PM and we can exchange numbers. I'll get in touch as the weekend gets closer and the plan gets more refined. I've got one or two others that may be going with me, but no full commitment yet. I think some might be struggling to get "permission" on Valentine's Day. :tongue-new:

Good info' above from Larry.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very good info! I've been reading a lot of Expats and yours threads on here. So informative and I really appreciate it! The plan is to stay at Windrock and ride those trails since we are staying there. I'll pm you my number Jerry. I understand about the Valentines Day thing. Only way I'm getting around it is because I'm bringing the wife.

·
Registered
22,344 Posts
Better bring your long johns and coveralls. It's supposed to be COLD this weekend. 23* on Friday night, only up to 35* on Saturday, down to 12* Saturday night, and only up to 27* on Sunday, back down to 15* Sunday night :eek:

·
Registered
22,344 Posts
Today is our last "warm" day for a while. We're supposed to get up to 54* this afternoon, then down to 16* tonight.

According to WBIR, here is the forecast for the next few days...
Thursday.....16/29
Friday.........13/34
Saturday.....23/39 (and very windy)
Sunday.......09/25
Monday......14/38

·
Rally Committee
3,020 Posts
Have a good ride. I need to get back on the mountain soon.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.