PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2015 ETX which is essentially the same in terms of electrical as the mid-size 570. It came with the stock 14 Ah conventional lead acid battery (4012622), but after reading the manual I learned that if you have a number of accessories (which I do) it is best to upgrade to the Polaris 30 Ah battery (4010630) and get the battery strap bracket (5253552).

My concerns are twofold. First, I'd prefer a sealed maintenance free battery, which I don't think the Polaris 30 Ah battery is. Also, the 30 Ah batteries appear to be bigger than the existing battery and I'd like to make sure whatever I replace it with can fit or something can be done to easily replace the existing tray. Second, in looking at the part number for the Polaris battery strap bracket, it appears to be an over-the-top bracket that was used in a 2011 500 along with a battery box. My unit only has a rubber strap that holds the battery in a slightly recessed tray.

Any comments/suggestions/pictures would be welcome.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dale,
I had problems with the stock battery on my 2014 570 Crew and decided to replace it. I wanted a AGM but didn't want to spend a huge amount on it. I ended up with an Exide Supercrank Extra Sealed AGM (Part # SC30LFA) which I bought at Rural King for around $80. You need a different battery strap and the Polaris Part # 5253552 which is a battery strap for an 800 Ranger, but it works with the larger battery which fits snugly in the battery compartment. The only other comment I would make is that the terminal polarity is switched on the new battery but the cables have planty of slack and it was no problem at all. I used the new battery for a couple months and it works great where the factory one was weak from day one. I think Polaris is making a mistake to only put a 14 AH battery in the 570, instead of a 30 AH.

Matlock

·
Registered
57 Posts
Dale,
I purchased my 2015 Midsize 570 in the last cold months and had to keep a Battery Tender on the OEM battery to even get it cranked daily. I finally decided to change it out for a 30AH battery as mentioned in the manual. I called the dealer and they wanted $139.00 for that battery, no way. I ordered a AGM 30AH 385 CCA from a site called Battery Mart on line and received it in two days for $89.00. One of the best moves yet... It fits fine in the battery box but a little taller, no much and no problems. I cut a spacer out of a piece of bed mat as a spacer to keep it from moving. Strap worked by going end to end in the holes in the box..
JUS1MO

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Given I have a winch, light bar, and rear lights on my 2015 ETX that all draw lots of power, I decided to upgrade from the 14 ah factory battery to an Odyssey PC 925L based on recommendations on this and other forums. Got from West Coast Batteries for $171 with no shipping. Turns out I probably should have saved a few more $ and got the 925 and not the 925L, as the way I placed the battery actually caused me to have to replace the red hot cable with one a bit longer to reach the terminal on the 925L - wouldn't have needed to do with the 925.

The battery fit on the existing tray, but the rubber strap was a bit too short. What I did was fasten one end in a hole a bit higher on the frame, pulled it tight, and clamped to the existing tray clip. While this solved any movement of the battery left or right, because the new battery didn't sit down in the tray recess, it theoretically could move forward/backward in rough riding conditions. Thus, I took a rubber bungee cord, cut one end off to the proper length, and riveted the hook in place. I then used existing holes in the tray to pull across the battery front to back - I know this battery isn't going anywhere!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.