PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I ride here lately I end up with low tires and there always leaking around the rim. Is bed locks worth it or would a on board air compressor be more worth my money.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I had this same discussion with my tire guy. he says they are for low air tires and aggressive driving so the rims don't spin.
put a mark on your tire and see if it is slipping on the rim. do your 31 outlaws say for beadlock?

you can buy a lot of compressors for the cost of 4 beadlock wheels.
jim

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My outlaws don't say there are nessecary but I have been going up on the air I put in them to prevent it from happening. I started with 10 pounds of air in my tires and I am up to 15 and it's still getting leaking because of bark and such getting between the rims and the tire. This last ride I came back with 2 leaking tired. I am talking maybe 4 miles.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
When I was into rock crawling we would push the tires off the bead on down hill turns until we solved the problem with bead locks.
The first time I went riding with my Ranger I had a flat from dirt and leaves and sticks wedged between the rim and tire.
I solved my problem on the Ranger with a set of STI beadlocks for less than $90 a wheel. No flats since in 3 years and I run around 8-9 pounds.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I run them because I run LT tires at very low psi (3) and did not want to carry a spare or risk a bead coming off since I ride in some pretty remote areas. I have about 4000 miles on mine riding in ever condition you can think of and have never had to add air even one time. So yes for me they are very worth it. They do require periodic torque checks but that does not take long.

·
Administrator
6,360 Posts
Sounds like a set of bead locks may be in your future. I've had a few problems with pinch flats so I looked into bead locks once. Most of them came with the locking ring only on the outside - that didn't make much sense to me, seems like the inside would be nearly as susceptible to pinching as the outside--a little less so since the outside ring should stop tire spin and rim on the inside bead is little deeper. Anyway, I decided against them and instead went with a tire sealer. No problems since... (I do carry a spare [bead locks are no good against a cut!], a ton of plugs, and a Viair Compressor)
ATV Tire Sealant - Pro Series

·
Registered
356 Posts
Bead locks will not prevent rim pinches. They are made to keep bead on the rim.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea it looks like I will have to start saving my money for a set.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I have had the same problem and just added more air (14psi) on all 6 tires and haven't had a problem since . Mud is my biggest problem in late Fall and early Spring.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
One of the reasons I went with the tire I did was to remove the pinch flat issue and also be able to run flat (due to the stiffness of the sidewalls). In order to still get good tractor in all conditions I must run very low pressures and this mandated beadlocks IMO. I also carry plugs, and air compressor, a can of starting fluid and a Bic in case an inner bead comes off, and thus far it has not happened.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have always been the guy that runs low air in my tires as well but the problem I keep having to go up in air pounds and I am fixing to start carrying 20 pounds a tire which I am not a fan of.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
The only downside I see for you running beadlocks would be the initial costs.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Beadlocks look better once they have some rock rash on them. :)

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Those do look good, but need to see them on a Ranger.
I had 16" wheels and 30" tires on my last Ranger. Now I have 14" wheels and 30" tires.
It took me a while to be sure, but it's now official; I like the bigger wheel styling. Call me a pimp. Just saying.
I do understand that more rubber is typically a benefit off road, but there is almost nothing either Ranger doesn't get through or over!
I will be sticking with my outlaws. So no rim size change for me. But if I did go bigger wheel I would have to go 17 inch and tsl super swamper tires.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts