PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might be in the market for a new XP900, I was wondering if there were any common or uncommon issues that one should know about before purchasing.
My planned upgrades would include:
UHMW ½" skid plate, front Bumper (not sure what type yet), LED light bar, 4500lbs Warn Winch, Metal roof, Tip-out front windshield, poly rear window, dual Odessey 925's, 27" Mudzillas on method 406 Beadlock rims, Gun rack, Half-doors, EPI clutch kit.

Just a few "Up grades" planned.... I already have a 2013 6x6 and was planning on the same mods as what were done on it for a 900XP

Are there any more items that I can fix / add to make my ride / life easier?

PS. I hope they come out with a 900 6X6, the 800 just needs a boost!!

·
Registered
362 Posts
Recommend EBS clutch set up over the rapid reaction it will shift better and last longer. Power steering is also nice. Change oil in front differential often only hold 6.75 oz. Tires larger than 27 may rub and will likely break stock parts as will lifts.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Common? Blown front diffs, broken reverse chains, lame secondary clutches.

Of your list of mods I would go Warn ProVantage w/ synthetic and warn wireless kit and rear glass, the poly scratches up pretty good.

I would wait until the 2016 are released and hopefully they go close ratio gearing.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I would have to say a noisy machine, but aren't all sxs noisy. Also the rangers have a
creaking roll cage. That can be fixed easily by the owner. It does take a couple of hours
but well worth it. When shifting the gears grind a lot.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Probably a duraclutch. Fix the clutch problems.
cage sqeeks. You can fix that. Bushings in susp sqeek
and wear out quick. Superdaves has better bushings.
water getting into air and clutch intakes. On the crew theres a heat shield on exhaust that comes off sometimes. Either melts some plastic or burns to ground. Seen a pic of that. Wasnt pretty.
wheel bearing dont last to long. That kinda depends how you drive it. Same for the balljionts.
heavier tires shortens these items also.

·
Registered
694 Posts
I would have to say a noisy machine, but aren't all sxs noisy. Also the rangers have a
creaking roll cage. That can be fixed easily by the owner. It does take a couple of hours
but well worth it. When shifting the gears grind a lot.
Man, compared to my 2011 800XP, my 900XP is much quieter.

OP, from the factory off the lot, the 900 is a pretty darn good machine. After that... well, they are SxSs that get modded and driven hard. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Consider going with the Odyssey 1200 for the main battery and the 925 for the secondary with an isolator between them. I'm still using the OEM battery for the main and the 925 for the secondary. I use the Wirthco isolator.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
FWIW........... my .02......... Buy an extended warranty from a reputable dealer. Ask about "clutch and tire mods" and how changes affect factory and extended warranties. Happy shopping !

·
Registered
621 Posts
My 900 has been great! Replaced a wheel bearing at 500 miles but I contribute that failure to my massive snow plow. At 600 miles I snapped a CV joint which was 100% my fault. Replaced with a HL DHT and all is good again!

·
Registered
228 Posts
Heres the truth.
popo does a good motor with good hp.

its everything else that breaks around it.

but popo figures
if the
Hp numbers are tops and
it looks good.
people will buy them.

if you could put a popo 900 in a
yamaha sxs
you would be king forever.

·
Registered
621 Posts
or the new Honda 1000

·
Registered
228 Posts
Oh yeah.
hey op. Dont forget about mud everywhere
underneath. Cause popo didnt do anything there.

hit 1 mudhole and then wash it out for
6 hours.

but at least its got the best hp numbers.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
So sounds like its pretty similar to the 800 full size, just take it easy and really shouldn't have too many problems?

I'm pretty easy on my machines and know that they always need to get me to where I'm going and get me back to the truck with out breaking down. I now have 475 miles and 82.5 hours and I purchased the rig in april 2013. And 100 miles is Moose hunting alone (2 years).. The rest has been moderate to easy trail riding and the only issue I have had was my Front differential went out after 3 months, and 60 miles..

And I would be waiting to the 2016 models, and will be getting a snorkel and a 18 month extended warranty ( if anything Malfunctions it will probably happen in the first 6 months to a year..)

·
Registered
621 Posts
In all honesty I truly love my 900. Yes it has its shortcomings but then again so do all models. The new Honda 1000 looks good on paper but until there are some real world results I'll be keeping my 900...and likely for a long time!!!

For me, if I drove my Polaris's like I used to drive my Honda's, they would likely have ZERO issues as well. But having the plush suspension and gobs of torque/power makes it hard to "baby" LOL.

Reactions: DogRunner2

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yeah, an off-road machine with mud on it. Can't have that.
You have an underseat storage. Blocks probably
70 % of the mud I have to clean out.
plus you have a unifilter on it.
cause of all the dirt and dust getting in there.
I would have a unifilter in mine
but
popo
denies warrenty then.

·
Registered
228 Posts
In all honesty I truly love my 900. Yes it has its shortcomings but then again so do all models. The new Honda 1000 looks good on paper but until there are some real world results I'll be keeping my 900...and likely for a long time!!!

For me, if I drove my Polaris's like I used to drive my Honda's, they would likely have ZERO issues as well. But having the plush suspension and gobs of torque/power makes it hard to "baby" LOL.
Like I said, the best hp numbers.
its everything else that breaks.
plus you cant make any improvements, cause
popo denies warrenty if you have it.
then after you paid for the warrenty you have to have
dealer service it at least 1 time a year for the paperwork.
another 300 bucks a year out of my pocket to keep
something I already paid for.
but if your easy on it and like to wash it
and look at it. Its good.

·
Registered
2,616 Posts
Bryan ...I was waiting for someone to mention the 'H' word.....So would you consider trying out a 'H'...and jumping ship to the 'H' side ??

1 - 20 of 51 Posts