PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live near Tomahawk in North Central Wisconsin. I'm fortunate to have atv/utv trails at my driveway. These same trails are snowmobile trails (opening tomorrow). Portions of the trail are designated as "open" for ATVs in the winter provided temps are 28F or colder. I have a Ranger XP900 and (finally) bought a windshield today so I'm looking forward to some winter trail riding, accessing local lakes for ice fishing, etc.

Last year I thought I read somewhere that UTVs were not legal to run on snowmobile trails that were open to atvs. Honestly I can understand if that is the case because having ridden sleds for a number of years I know I wouldn't want to come across a 60" wide UTV on a 96" wide trail while doing 35mph on my 48" wide sled.

I've scoured the local county website, WI DNR, local snowmobile clubs websites, etc and this year I can't find anything saying "No UTVs" on winter snowmobile atv trails.

Anyone have any insight on this issue?

Happy New Year folks,

Bill

·
Registered
55 Posts
T-Hawk, I have a place in Douglas Co. All trails are open unless gated with clearance post, set at 60 inches, i think. A full size Ranger is 72. I my area many trails run roads when this is the case. Still rather have the Ranger XP, If a trail isn't marked snowmobiles only its open.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I believe here in Maine...its all about the tracks...doesn't matter the machine...if it has wheels...not allowed...tracks..Yes

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hi bill, long time since I,ve seen you post. The only place that I know of in wisc. That welcome utv,s /atv,s with or with out tracks are the trail system/ club over by goodman, Dunbar wi. Area. Dun-good riders. There on the web. There enough utv,s out there, more trails,clubs will accept utvs. Someday. There,s groomers out there, a lot wider than 62". . Utv,s with tracks, about 70". With the speed of snowmobiles especially on corners I can see the concern. Just north of you in the u.p. We have the county roads, and private property, till spring. Good winter riding to you. Ken in the u.p.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts