PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a heater from Motoalliance and it went fine. I bought a thermostat bypass a while back. Its the some one others are using for an 800. Now it seems the engine doesn't get up to operating temp as quickly, this could just be my perception. And it only goes to about 180 to 190 now that the weather has gotten colder, air temps in the 50's. I cant remember last year how it did because I barely drove it. Now with doors and a heater I plan to keep it going all year.

I am wondering it the thermostat got messed up in the installation. It is acting like it might be stuck a little open. It is a pretty good pain in th rear to get the thermostat out now that it has the bypass atttached to it. Didn't really want to take it apart again unless I have good anecdotal evidence that its is indeed the problem.
BTW it seems to put out plenty of heat but the coldest its gotten around here is about 40.

So what do you say guys? Did your engine temps stay the same?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Sorry my 900 xp came with the heater installed so I have no info about engine temps before and after. What I do know is at -20 below the heater on mine will run you out of the cab on high.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Mine runs from about 170 to 200 depending. I don't think you have an issue if you're running in the 180-190 range.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
I installed the same heater this spring. Mine runs about 197 to 165. It has not gotten that cold here to use it yet. I do know I will not have my windshield fog or frost up any more.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I just installed a heater from Motoalliance and it went fine. I bought a thermostat bypass a while back. Its the some one others are using for an 800. Now it seems the engine doesn't get up to operating temp as quickly, this could just be my perception. And it only goes to about 180 to 190 now that the weather has gotten colder, air temps in the 50's. I cant remember last year how it did because I barely drove it. Now with doors and a heater I plan to keep it going all year.

I am wondering it the thermostat got messed up in the installation. It is acting like it might be stuck a little open. It is a pretty good pain in th rear to get the thermostat out now that it has the bypass atttached to it. Didn't really want to take it apart again unless I have good anecdotal evidence that its is indeed the problem.
BTW it seems to put out plenty of heat but the coldest its gotten around here is about 40.

So what do you say guys? Did your engine temps stay the same?

Did you T off of the upper radiator hose or did you do straight into the heater from the bypass?

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you T off of the upper radiator hose or did you do straight into the heater from the bypass?
Sorry I've been really busy lately.
I went straight from the thermostat bypass to the heater then the output to the the....uh.... upper radiator hose I think. I will have to look to be sure but I remember that the coolant that flows through the heater does not go through the radiator, I can remember thinking that if it went through the radiator it could keep the engine from getting warm.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK so it really doesn't get above about 170 in 30 degree weather when going down the road at 30 to 40 mph and mostly in the 160 range which I think is too cold for good engine operation. Although the heater supplies good heat and for plowing it will be fine, going down the road I think a few more degrees of engine heat would be nice for heater output as well. I was just wondering what others engines ran at in the winter, maybe this little 900cc engine can't produce that much waste heat. Doesnt help that I still have a slight air leak in the front somewhere that gets me a cold draft that comes out of the steering wheel hole hitting me right in the chest
I think I might put a new thermostat in it just to be sure.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I haven't had that issue because I barely get above 15 mph around the farm. Mine stays above 170.

·
Registered
309 Posts
And I output to the lower radiator hose. If it does go to the upper hose then that could be an issue

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And I output to the lower radiator hose. If it does go to the upper hose then that could be an issue
Yep it goes to the lower hose.
I ordered a new thermostat. Probably going to change it just for peace of mind. At any rate its going to be soooo much better than my little kubota tractor for clearing snow this winter.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had to put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator to raise the operating temps a little. Same as you, I was good while plowing but a little low going down the road.

Spent a lot of time stuffing insulation in and around everywhere air passed through the firewall sure made a difference in Heater performance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts