PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
The only advantage to adding an isolator would be ??? say you wanted an extra batt to run your stereo equipment or a on board compressor and wanted them to run off the aux.Batt when the ranger wasn't running but yet for the ranger to charge them while it was running kind of a saftey thing. then an isolater would be perfect. just run the ranger itsself off the primary bett and the extra equipment off the aux that way they will never leave you stranded.[B)]

·
Registered
79 Posts
dual batteries have a tendency to draw one or the other down without a isolator when not in use. I have a 800amp gel cell installed for a aug. bat with my winch and other accessories conected only to it. It is isolated from the little bat. by a continous duty ford type solenoid with the small pin conected to the ignition auxiliary on the machine so both bats. are conected and charging only when the engine is running. a genuine bat. isolator is a group of diodes that only let current flow in one direction and is pretty expensive and has a limited amount of amps that it can handle. It's also sort of bulky. The solenoid in cheep and compact. I can send you some pics if you like. [:D]

·
Registered
48 Posts
Charlie.The only problem with the sytem your describing is Absoulute protection is not there.if you over amp your sol.during operation of your winch with two sol,s kicking in and out will you notice that your isolator sol did not kick out and protect the the security blanket you think you have.Isolators are absoulte they blow open not closed catching you with your pants down. Just food for thought

Ps:The isolater dose not have to be as hi of amperage as the equipment you intend to operate only hi enough to cover your charging system thats the beauty of the ONE+WAY thing.[;)]

Charlie: im just trying to answer his question if i were running duals i would probably run straights i have one 1200 amp hr gel cell in the same spot as the stock battery a little cutting a little welding WHAAAALA it fits perfect.

·
Registered
79 Posts
hey richard:

one of the reasons I run the solenoid setup is to disconect the big bat. from the little one. I can run the aug. bat down and have the stock for reserve. only drawing amps from the aug bat. and not through the solenoid. charging up wile I'm runnin around. I've used this type of dual bat. setup on a lot of stuff for a lot of years and never had a prob. true on the amps through the isolator guard, you can get them dif. sizes. whats up in yuma? if you ever get up this way let me know I'll show you some of the good spots [:D]

·
Registered
18,494 Posts
I've been running my two batteries without an isolator for a longtime now with no problems. I guess if you're 'constantly' using your winch or something else that draws a bunch oc amps you might want to isolate the aux. battery, but IMHO the isolator is unnecessary.

·
Registered
354 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Charlie: im just trying to answer his question if i were running duals i would probably run straights i have one 1200 amp hr gel cell in the same spot as the stock battery a little cutting a little welding WHAAAALA it fits perfect.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Can you please post a pic of your gel battery mount, I would love to see it. I put mine uner the seat but I would much rather have it under the hood

thanks

·
Special Advisor
8,943 Posts
I havnt had any problems without one one mine. I has done a great job for me. Mine has a lot of stuff on it to.

·
Registered
79 Posts
well.... I guess you certainly don't NEED a isolator between your batteries. but...... if your doing some long winch pulls, blasting your stereo, trying to get somthing up out of the ditch at night with all your lites on and you want to start your machine up without having to monkey around with jumper cables after you run your bat. dead you may want to think about a isolator for your dual bat.setup.
[:D][:D]

mark: I'll get some pic's up later

·
Registered
48 Posts
Actualy with a quality isolater it will protect your main battery during winching while the motor is running but without an isolator and the solonoid system if you amp your winch you could fry your charging system.And guy's i can't post pic's if you wish i will email them if you give me a link.you will like the size of the battery and its a group 24 optima # SC34DM it fits real tight so it dose not move at all and it has no hold downs making it real easy to revove and jump buddies on trail behind you.[;)]

·
Registered
15 Posts
anybody know the aternator wiring? Got an isolator, but no charge from alternator wires(i think)until i supply them with 12v first-which the isolator does not allow. I am thinking i need an isolator with an ign input

·
Registered
226 Posts
Wonderful Topic and just in time for me. I am installing a second deep cycle battery in my 07 Ranger and want to use an isolator. My questions for the more savy are: How much amperage should the isolator be able to deal with? I see isolators made for 60amps and up to 120. What kind of amperage does the stator put out on the ranger? I know it is rated for 500 watts at max rpm, but that is all I know. And finally where is that hot wire coming from the stator that I would need to connect to the isolator. Oh one more thing.... will any type of isolator work on the ranger charging electric/charging system? Any particular model recommended? WOW.... lots of questions. Sorry guys... but some of us (ME!) aren't exactly electrical engineers. :)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am not a electrical eng.Either but if you can post the isolater you have's shcematics. I can tell you the proper wiring.for your system.I do make my living doing DC electronics on Equipment and vehicals.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts