PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
And..... go.

Hope this wasn’t misleading, it’s actually what I’ve been trying to find out. Through purely superficial research it seems there are minor differences. Material: often the same 4340 or something or other. Thickness: yes, thicker than stock. CV joints: gets a little trickier.

Reading a few things about heat treated parts and double heat treated parts. “10% larger than stock”. 6 bearing vs 8 bearing.

The reason for my post is this. FINALLY got 36 hours of alone time at the ranch this weekend and got to really get after it. Ride as it currently sits: OutKast Fabworx “full lift” (can’t remember at this point) but acrhed/forward A arms, 30” Tensor Regulators, Bandit shocks (entry level but) tuned to my riding style. Duraclutch but no other engine tuning. And lastly, 3.75 Rhino axles. Meaning, one ain’t so good anymore.

I wouldn’t consider my setup “big lift” but the new shocks added more height than I was expecting. Last short ride I thought I could hear a front axle binding up a little. When I popped the shocks in I was rushing. Realized after they are all mounted to the outer holes. Still haven’t switched that to the inner and double check the perch heights.

I was dragging logs in reverse over some washed out culverts, on a turn. The front would get REAL hard to turn backing up under load so I tried take it easy, on the turns. After I finished working for the morning I went to the backside of the ranch to check other trails. After a pause I put it back in 2 wheel to get out of a basin. Nothing. Vvvrrrooom. Nowhere. I looked and the CV exploded. But still holding the axle where an axle should be. Put it in 4wheel low and limped home for an hour or so. My time was up so I didn’t even have a chance to lift it and really check things out. Because my time is often limited I am researching axle replacements. It’ll be much easier to swap an axle than rebuild a CV.

So here I am. Rhino 2.0’s? Turner’s really worth the $$$ ?

My application is, enhanced workhorse. I need the height for clearing and building trails. I don’t always drive slowly while doing that but this rig never sees North of 30mph. It also could end up loaded 6 full size passengers and whatever you can cram in the tiny bed. Seems to me what I really need is size and strength of CV joint bearing. Large range of motion and strength at high torque. I’m not going to be jumping it (intentionally) and it pretty much hits my limits at 20mph corners. So I think practically ANY aftermarket axle would have good enough strength at the axle but what about those pesky bearings... Also considering limiting straps (I know, I should’ve done more than consider them, correct) but after $1200 in shocks I thought I’d be ok.

So, please weigh in.
E1387297-B1A8-4D6C-8038-6025488B5AE3.jpeg

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Have read where the angles on the oem cv are limited. Also that the axles serve as a sheer point as opposed to a very expensive failure up the line. Not sure it helps, but something to consider.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Appreciated. Because I didn’t get the chance to pull it apart, I am HOPING it really is only the CV. Appeared that way.

·
Super Moderator
6,537 Posts
This is not something that I believe you will find.
A lot of variables with no definitive information. Mostly statements of Emotion.
I have never read a thread or post about axles that ever contained good technical information on said axle.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Love to hear from any

Rhino
Rhino 2.0
Gorilla
Titan
Turner’s
RCV
Slasher
Sixity

Owners

Leaning toward the 2.0’s primarily because of the larger CV documentation.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well Toxic, I was hoping the discussion might help compile such a list. But apparently it is not that interesting a topic. Guess I’ll try the Rhino 2.0’s

·
Super Moderator
6,537 Posts
Well Toxic, I was hoping the discussion might help compile such a list. But apparently it is not that interesting a topic. Guess I’ll try the Rhino 2.0’s
Jake,
As I stated, I have never seen any technical information on axles, most of what you see is based on emotion.
You hear the same thing regurgitated over and over without any quality information to back it up.
And I would not say that it’s not interesting,
With all of the different brands it will be hard to compile a list.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Jake,
As I stated, I have never seen any technical information on axles, most of what you see is based on emotion.
You hear the same thing regurgitated over and over without any quality information to back it up.
Yep, and a little info is better than none. I appreciate any replies I get. I prefer to bounce ideas back and forth, as opposed to my wife!

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
"Yep, and a little info is better than none. I appreciate any replies I get. "
Yeah Nit, tell us about those FAKE zerks you supposedly installed in your 2WD a-arms again........I just LOVE made up Libtardy stuff...........Hey ranger.net emailed, they want you back over there all to themselves....I said " well, OK!"..........

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
4 Participants
jungleman
PRC Polaris Ranger Club
PRCforum is the best Polaris forum community to discuss RZR 1000, Crew 900, PRC Ranger Club, XP 900, RZR XP 4 900, RZR 570, HD, 170, RZR-S, XP 900, RZR XP 4 900, ORV, side by side, SSW and off-road information.
Full Forum Listing