PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Borrowed these pics from lovingtheride, hope he don't mind.
Does anyone now what that seal is on the inside of the axle tube is? I keep getting an oil leak ever since I changed my axles and I damaged one of these getting the old one's out and I can't find these anywhere. Do they actually seal anything or are the just in there to keep both axles sealed from each other. I've done replaced both outer seals thinking it was them, but am still getting a slight oil leak.
To add this in on a 2012 ranger 800 xp

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Commander it's not the outer seals i'm talking about, I have done changed those. I don't even really know what to call it,but it's some kind of seal that's on the inside of were the axle goes. Like if you pulled both axles out on each side there is something in the middle of them.

·
Registered
22,344 Posts
tt660 said:
Commander it's not the outer seals i'm talking about, I have done changed those. I don't even really know what to call it,but it's some kind of seal that's on the inside of were the axle goes. Like if you pulled both axles out on each side there is something in the middle of them.
Sorry, I misunderstood. I'm not sure about that part. The parts fiche doesn't show much detail and I've never had any of the one-piece diff'/trannys apart, so I'm not sure what goes there. I'll look at the parts fiche again and see if I can figure it out.

·
Registered
22,344 Posts
From what I can tell, the axles go into what the fiche is calling a pair of "side gears", reference numbers 4 and 7 on the fiche link below.

My guess is that one or both of those gears are a dead head......at least that's how they are on my '06, but that's a completely different animal, so I could be wrong. I hope that you don't need part #7....it says "unavailable". :shock:

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/mode...ies/255274-drive-train-main-gearcase-internal

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the help commander. What happened is I was replacing my rear axles and one side didn't want to come out, so someone had told me I could hit the stuck side from the side that I was able to get out. That worked, but what I didn't realized was there was some kind of bushing or seal that goes in between the axles and I kind of mangled one in the process. Ever since then, after a long ride the side of my diff will be wet with oil, it's not bad just keeps making a mess. I have looked over and over on the parts fiche but don't seem to see this part. And I don't think it's just a 2012 thing cause I helped a buddy with a 2010 and he has the same seal inside. Rockymountain.atv shows that part, but I just need the seal/bushing or what ever it is. I feel like this is were my leak is coming from, well it's the only thing I haven't changed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Finally!!! I've been searching forever to find out the exact same thing. Same deal, rear axle wouldn't budge on one side so pounded out from other and out pop these two rubber coated seals.
Did you ever figure out what they were and how to fix them? I can't find them anywhere and am worried that water will get in the gear case.
If you were able to fix, how and please tell me you didn't have to tear whole rear end apart. Thanks.

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
3,967 Posts
Same deal! Any luck finding a solution?
This thread is pretty old. I think you'll have better luck with responses if you start a new thread explaining the problem and posing your question on the new thread.

Reactions: Jungleman
1 - 12 of 12 Posts