PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else had a problem with the factory Maxxis tires on a 2021 Ranger cracking at the lugs on the inside?
Had a flat on the left front a month ago and just bought a new tire. The tire had cracks by several lugs, but I thought maybe I didn’t get stopped soon enough.
Last week I had a flat on the left rear and got stopped before it was all the way flat. It has cracks by several lugs. Not a puncture mark.
I took the other two tires off to look them over and they have cracks by several lugs, just not leaking yet.
Taking them to my dealer tomorrow to start a case with Polaris service to see if they won’t replace them. I’m old and never seen tires crack like that. I’ve only had it 18 months and it only has 2200 miles on it.

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
3,997 Posts
My Dad has the Maxxis tires on his 2020 Northstar and has no problems. I've had Maxxis Ceros on my 2015 Ranger 570 Full Size for 2+ years and love them, no issues like those you describe.

It may be that you got some defective tires.

Another possibility has to do with where you store your Ranger. Some electrical equipment produces Ozone when operating. Ozone is known to damage rubber in tires. If you park close to equipment that gives off Ozone that may be part of the problem.
Understanding the link between ozone and rubber deterioration

Storage in direct sunlight also causes damage to tires.

Running tires at less than the recommended pressure can also cause damage you describe. Low tire pressure increases heat buildup in tires due to the friction of flexing. Heat damages tire rubber and causes cracking. Tire pressure should be checked at a minimum of every 30 days. You can't just look at modern tires and judge that they are properly inflated. Modern tires can be underinflated considerably and not appear to be.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is my third ranger. It is always kept inside my shop at night! Nothing in my shop effects tires! Sorry for answering kinda rude. I am not a city boy and have done plenty of my own mechanical and maintenance work. Used to farm part time. They are a bad run of tires.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I know they are different tires, but the OE Maxxis tires that came on my 2018 developed visible cracks around the lugs when they were still pretty new. Didn't lose any air, I got rid of them anyway. Definitely not normal for any tire to have tread cracks (and I work for a major tire manufacturer).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello my 2021 ranger has the same exact issue with my maxxis 29” factory tires. Was dead flat last night totally unexpected and when I removed it noticed dry cracking all around the inside of tire. I also am going to call my dealership. WTF
Check all of them. My dealer didn’t think they would do anything but it’s worth a try. Definitely bad tires. Mine stays inside when I’m not using it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello there I have a North Star ultimate with the 29” maxxis tires. I had one of the rear tires go bad due to all the cracking also. I have bought different rear tires since I tried to put in a tube but that only lasted a day. I am still pretty upset about it but dealer didn’t do a darn thing about it. The tires I bought are supposed to be the size. Butttt these tires aren’t!! They actually look smaller than the front tires. I am looking for a whole new set now!!! I didn’t want to spend that kind of money but Maxxis tires two thumps down!! I am hoping that there will be a recall or something 😤😤😤🤬

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
3,997 Posts
Why not try contacting Maxxis directly? If you had bad tires on a new car I believe the car dealer would refer you to the tire manufacturer for resolution.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts