PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
image.jpg About 18 mos ago, I broke a rear axle. Put gorillas in. Monday, hoped on it to go check a field and heard a noise and the one at the differential,the cup, exploded.

This isn't my first cv rodeo.

To to busy to fool with it until today. Sprayed several time with kroil figured it'd pop right out. Tried the usual prying, slide hammer stuff.

Last sts effort was to weld a chain loop to the cup use a high lift jack "beam" as a connector and attach by means of a come a long to a post in my shop. The opposite side of the buggy is dead manned to my one ton service truck.

i probably have 2500# force on it now. I attached a block to,the hi lift beam and struck with a sledge man times while under load.

nothing

nothing a all.

If I remove the opposite side, is it open for me to drive out, provided I can get the other side out?

i farm, run a lot of equipment, and haven't been through many repairs that I haven't found a way around, but in 44 yrs, this beats all I've ever seen.

my next plan is to heat inside the cup where the stub enters the diff and continue beating. Worst I do is ruin the seal.

any thoughts? I've done all the subtle tactics.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Woah!.... Surprised something hasn't broke yet :)....

If your cup is busted up I can see why it is difficult to get a good hold of anything....

You cant pound it out from the other side....

Only other thing i can think to try is drilling out the center of the stuck axle, keep drilling larger holes until the thing can be broke out...just dont drill too deep :).... Drilling that shaft isn't going to be a fun job at all....

...and goober up the new shaft with anti-seize... :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
i havnt messed with a newer ranger but i have had several dealings with gorilla ...they use a different clip on the axle that is a square style or at least the do on my 07 700xp...what i have had to do it use a ball joint/tie rod tool and drive it in there ...be careful not to damage the housing but dont worry about the seal...you will need new seal anyway...i have had to hit it with a 10 pounder to get mine out ...hope this helps

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
I had a similar problem with the front of my 05. I dead manned it with a 3/4 ton truck, drilled a hole in the cup, hooked up a slide hammer, and used the winch on the Mule. I wound up pulling on it with the winch, hammering on it with the slide hammer and having my brother pry against it a the same time before it finally gave up.
[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts