PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '11 500 EFI battery is finally giving up the ghost. What are you folks replacing it with? Also, how many years did you get out of your stock battery?

Eric

·
Registered
585 Posts
I've got 7 months on my stock battery and going strong. The key is to ensure it's frequently connect to a battery maintainer. Lots seems to like the oddesey or optima batteries.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got 7 months on my stock battery and going strong. The key is to ensure it's frequently connect to a battery maintainer. Lots seems to like the oddesey or optima batteries.
Thanks for the reply sledder1. I keep a battery tender on mine pretty much once a month for a week. The stock battery is a little over 3 years old and I have about 260 hrs. on mine.

Eric

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
Just read where one member got 8 years out of his stock battery! I think a lot depends on what kind of loads you put on it and how well you maintain it (fluid level is critical in the stock Yuasa batteries). But you can't go wrong with a new Odyssey... or two!

Reactions: alloutdoors

·
Registered
74 Posts
My stock battery lasted alitle over a year on my 400. I had kept a battery tender on it too, but it still crapped out on me at the worst possible time right in the middle of my driveway going into my camp in the middle of January while trying to plow. It trapped my truck inside the property cause of all the snow, and it took me hours of shovelling to get out. I think the abuse the battery takes from plowing and constantly usin the winch was just too much for the stocker.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Bogfather, Be glad it was in your drive, not 50 miles from anywhere. Don't mean to hi jack but what do some of you carry for battery back up?

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Battery longevity has several factors. Brand; lets face it not all are created equal, my el-cheapo dealer battery lasted 1 year, I've always used Interstate but if money is no object look to dry cell technologies. Load; the more you have the shorter the life period, now you can charge while not in use but pay attention to what your using, nothing better then a quality battery conditioner and there not cheap. I store mine in the winter so I disconnect the terminals, remember there is always a draw, so if you let it sit for long periods, disconnect.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I always carry a second battery and jumper cables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is the Odyssey battery the same dimensions to fit the battery holder? For kicks and grins I topped off the stock battery with some distilled water and through it on a charger. We'll see if there's any life left in it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Im on about 18 months with mine. The only reason its lasted that long is the fact I have kept it on a battery tender and have kept the water level up when it gets low. It is getting a bit weak with the recent cold and I probably wont risk it and get a new odyssey before the winter hits. The OEM batteries are junk IMHO.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Bogfather, Be glad it was in your drive, not 50 miles from anywhere. Don't mean to hi jack but what do some of you carry for battery back up?
Actually it was at my camp which was about 135 KM's away from home, I had to leave it for a week till I could return with a new battery and it fired right up....... DAMN stockers.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
2 years on stock battery. No problems and no charger. But, I ride every day.:glee::encouragement:

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
The initial charge put on the battery has a lot to do with longevity......especially on an AGM battery. I don't think that all dealers give due diligence to that, thus the reason some will last 7 or 8 years and why some crap out after only 1 or 2 years.

Reactions: fswan

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
Ditto on what Jerry says! Yet another reason to invest in a quality Smart Charger! Even though some vendors claim their batteries are "ready to use" right out of the box, it's still a good idea to top them off right away before you use them (on a new machine as well). Your batteries will still work (obviously) if you don't, just won't last as long nor deliver their full potential.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Just checked the hours on my '11 500. After 4 seasons w/ it I've put 327 hours & 2249 miles on it. Still running the OEM battery. It's on a tender for the winter. No stereo on it. I only used the winch a couple of times last year to move a tree. I have 2 LED lights on the front bumper, an LED backup light & installed DDM HIDs in Sept'.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My 2014 Ranger 400 stock battery tests fine, ( build date October 2013, in service date April 2014) but I keep it on a Battery Maintainer the minute its back in the garage.
Has anyone looked at the Lithium Ion batteries ? Meant to be half the weight, twice the reserve. I saw them at Advance Auto, tempted, but would like some real-world input.
For back up, I carry a Lithium Ion "Pocket Power " by Rockwell. Will jumpstart V8s, should keep this flea size going.

·
Registered
533 Posts
My 2014 Ranger 400 stock battery tests fine, ( build date October 2013, in service date April 2014) but I keep it on a Battery Maintainer the minute its back in the garage.
Has anyone looked at the Lithium Ion batteries ? Meant to be half the weight, twice the reserve. I saw them at Advance Auto, tempted, but would like some real-world input.
For back up, I carry a Lithium Ion "Pocket Power " by Rockwell. Will jumpstart V8s, should keep this flea size going.
From personal experience, I will never rely on a Lithium Ion battery for my ATV, SxS, or motorcycle. If you can guarantee a near 0 draw while sitting for extended periods of time you may be alright but their fail point always seems to come from small amounts of load from things like clocks and other electronics that require a small amount of reserve power (ie. radios to hold preset stations and such).

·
Registered
533 Posts
More so than Gel or lead acid batteries of the same rating ?
Yes! A traditional lead/acid battery and even the gel/AGM batteries can handle the small loads much, much better than the Li battery. The Li battery will die long before the other two under these circumstances...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts