PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tossing around the idea of building a forward facing hunting seat for the bed. Would like a setup where riders can see over the roof, leaving room for a cooler, etc. under the seat. I think they call them "high racks" in Texas. This would just be for hunting and poking around in low gear. Since all we have in this part of Florida is flat ground, I'm not planning any safety stuff like roll bars or seatbelts.

I've seen a few pics of nice designs scattered here and there, but there wasn't much discussion about them. If you have one or built one yourself, I'd be interested in knowing what materials you used, mounting methods, and design. Post some pics!

Here's one example I googled up... but I was thinking maybe a few inches taller. Just fishing for some ideas...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a high seat on xp 900 that has been a lot of fun. I don't hot rod it with people on the back and as long as you don't go to high and stiffen the springs in the back a few notches you shouldn't have any problems. The only thing you have to make sure of is that you have a way to secure the dump bed as it will release if you are using the stock lever. Mine did the first time I drove it with the high seats. No one was on board but me, but it would have been really bad if I had anyone on the high seat. I had a couple of stainless bolts run through the holes in the front of the bed on both sides secured with a washer, lock washer and nut. I don't have pics of but will try and get some if you are interested in seeing how I did it. I have also seen a couple of threads on here with other options. I have attached pics of my 900. Hope this helps Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Transport
Land vehicle Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Automotive tire
Land vehicle Vehicle All-terrain vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey WWF - welcome to PRC!

Thanks, that's just what I had in mind. Really like the side ladders.
Is yours aluminum or steel? It's a little hard to tell from the pics - does it fasten to the bed using the lock & ride holes? How is it held down - easy to take off and put on?

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's aluminum and it bolts in lock and ride holes. You have to take the bed panels off to attach it.

·
Registered
77 Posts

·
Administrator
7,005 Posts
When making or purchaseing your high back seat, it is best to have one with either angle or flat aluminum/steel that sits on top of the bed rail and attaches.
The angle in my opinion is preferred, if you make it with one side of the angle on the bed rail and the other inside the bed ( this should make it easier to install and reduce the chance of something getting caught on it, if it was on the outside), this will capture the bed sides, with either the all thread bolted through the bed (holes) or the lock and ride plugs. This will help to keep the bed sides from pushing outward.
The safest way is to bolt it through the lock and ride holes, as wwf stated, you will need to remove the bed sides to do so.
Or second, use the expansion lock and ride plugs ( not preferred, except for attaching accessories).

The lock and ride holes in the bed are tapered, so I do not recommend putting the pipe down in the holes.
The metal can gouge into the plastic bed, possibly cracking or breaking, and that could get someone hurt.

And as stated above, be sure and secure the bed in the closed position, do not rely on the factory bed latch.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Greg... angle aluminum on top of the bed rail was what I was thinking too. What I had in mind was to drill out 2 or 3 of the lock and ride holes all the way through the bed on each side, and fasten through a long piece of bar stock on the bottom edges of the bed. That would make it easier to mount/dismount. Think it would work?

Ryan - thanks for those links. Gave me some good ideas.

·
Registered
77 Posts
No problem.
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle All-terrain vehicle Automotive tire

This is a buddy of mine's Ranger that Critter Gitters did. I will be adding one to mine before next season. Not sure who I am going to go with yet.

·
Administrator
7,005 Posts
Greg... angle aluminum on top of the bed rail was what I was thinking too. What I had in mind was to drill out 2 or 3 of the lock and ride holes all the way through the bed on each side, and fasten through a long piece of bar stock on the bottom edges of the bed. That would make it easier to mount/dismount. Think it would work?

Ryan - thanks for those links. Gave me some good ideas.
The lock and ride holes are only apprx 5 inches long from the top. JMO, I would not drill out the holes, they are part of the design structure of the bed. You need to fabricate something that will work without altering the bed. This will help your resale value also.
When you remove the bed side panels, you will see what I am talking about. There is no real support on the bed rail sides.

Also on the angle that will sit on the bed rail, I would make a locator/disc, that will sit in the lock and ride hole.

You may even want to design it to utilize the metal bed frame support, having the high back sitting inside the bed. This would be a more sturdy/stable area.

·
Registered
77 Posts
They welded two receivers to the front bumper. One on each side. Sorry I do not have a better picture.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got my seat built today....The fabricator did a great job copying my friends seat… I'm very happy with it. Next step is to decide whether I paint it myself or get it professionally powder coated. Treadmill Automotive exterior Exercise equipment Leisure Vehicle
Automotive exterior Vehicle Bumper Car Auto part
Vehicle Automotive tire Tire Car Automotive exterior

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Man, that looks great! Nothing too elaborate or heavy, and I think that height is perfect. Now I have some questions...
Was it very expensive to have fabbed?
Can you explain how yours attaches to the lock and ride?
How easy is it to mount / dismount?
Where do those bucket seats come from?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Since it's aluminum it's very light...one person removal.. The fiberglass seats came from diamondback airboats. The anchors are called twist and lock from Moose utility. The fabrication cost 425. The fiberglass seats were 200 each. Here is a pic of the seats. Chair Furniture Room Floor Wood

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
Kinda hard to see the welds with any great detail. But my first impression....you might want to keep an eye on them, doesn't look like good penetration. But as I said, hard to see in detail.
Bends look good though!! :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Easy if you mean when I want to tilt it. I have not added any additional locks to prevent accidental tilt with rear riders. I know there is a lot of concern about that...does that risk still exist with 2015 models?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.