PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

Belt Design

981 views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  revrnd 
#1 ·
I'm just curious as to how the belts in the larger Rangers & RZRs compare widthwise to the 500 Ranger's belt. When I look @ it, I think that in snowmobiling we haven't seen belts that narrow since the 70s.

Would wider belts help longevity? I've blown 2 trail side, the most recent ago this summer. I'm thinking that in the future I'll just replace them at the end of the season or the start of the next season.

Seeing as Poo doesn't have a minimum belt width that BRP has for their sleds, I hate the guessing game of it looks OK, lets keep running it, only to spend an hour on the trail replacing it.

#2 ·
rev, you may have a belt /clutch alignment problem going thru belts that often . If it was a 700, I would say your motor mounts were bad.

#3 ·
I don't have a direct answer to your question, however I offer another thought. I believe belt longevity has a great deal to do with how the vehicle is being used. Use of high range when going slow forces the belt to slip much of the time creating wear. Belt width won't fix that. If the belt is being hourglassed due to slippage, a wider belt won't fix that either. Even using low range, if pulling loads, crawling along, on and off the throttle, slippage and associated heat will cause belt failure eventually, just at a longer interval that if high range was used most often under those conditions.
Given these realities, if your riding tends to destroy belts frequently it might pay to bite the bullet and go for a Duraclutch. A Duraclutch reduced belt wear to a minimum becasue the belt never slips. The built in centrifugal clutches, which are designed to hold up with slippage, do the slipping while the belt remains constantly engaged.
If you aren't familiar with the Duraclutch you can learn about them here:
You're #1 Source for Duraclutch | Clutches & Accessories

Reactions: wgarcar2
#4 ·
X2 with PYRO
I had to replace 4 belts within the first year riding 5-15 mph on my '16 570xp.
Finally we found that the snorkel was clogged in the middle and there was constant excess heat that was melting the OEM belts.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

#7 ·
X2 with PYRO
I had to replace 4 belts within the first year riding 5-15 mph on my '16 570xp.
Finally we found that the snorkel was clogged in the middle and there was constant excess heat that was melting the OEM belts.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
The 2 failures that I've had are the only times that I've replaced the belt in the 8 years I had owned the Ranger. So in some ways I should be happy. I just wish there was some way of knowing ahead of time that the belt should be replaced.

#5 ·
As wgarcar2 states, heat can be a big factor in belt wear and even if the ducting for cooling air isn't clogged as his was temperatures may climb to a detrimental point. Blower kits are made which force air into the belt housing to keep things cooler and they can help, but if actual wear is the problem due to slippage cooler running alone won't fix the overall problem of shortened belt life.

Reactions: wgarcar2
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.