PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 07 ranger 700 XP. It's getting hard to shift into gear and the belt feels like it is slipping. When in high gear and throttle all the way the rpms are above 4 but it will not go over 20mph. I have changed the belt and put in a new clutch kit and it didn't change anything. Any ideas?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sometimes you have to force it into gear and when you go to shift into high gear it starts grinding and sometime goes and sometimes doesnt.

In low gear it doesn't feel like it is slipping but when in high it does and the rpms are about 4500 to 4700 and it will not go more then 20.

·
Vendor
2,177 Posts
Sometimes you have to force it into gear and when you go to shift into high gear it starts grinding and sometime goes and sometimes doesnt.

In low gear it doesn't feel like it is slipping but when in high it does and the rpms are about 4500 to 4700 and it will not go more then 20.
The first one is the primary bearing going bad most likely causing the secondary to be spinning in neutral, can't tell from microfiche if the 07 has one or not, the newer 09 does for sure

The second sounds like low fuel pressure. I would be checking it with a gauge.

Todd

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
could be primary, or secondary, or both.

seen it several times where the secondary bushings get worn out and cause a sticky spot that won't allow the sheaves to open any further.

Same thing on the primary, except the problem with them is the dirt makes the bushings stick and not allow the sheaves to come back.

Sadly, I think you need to take them both off and have them inspected/cleaned/reaplaced. Clutches are a perishable item on rangers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally got to look at it today and found out it wasn't the belt slipping after further inspection it turned out to be a broken spark plug wire So now in high gear you can floor it and off you go.

But I still got the problem with it grinding when trying to shift it into high gear when I have it running but when I turn it off it shifts into gear just fine...I noticed that in neutral the secondary clutch is still spinning when it shouldnt. Could that be the cause of it not wanting to shift into high when running? And what do I need to look at to stop the secondary from spinning in neutral?

·
Registered
764 Posts
....I noticed that in neutral the secondary clutch is still spinning when it shouldnt. Could that be the cause of it not wanting to shift into high when running? And what do I need to look at to stop the secondary from spinning in neutral?
If your secondary is spinning rapidly then that is what is causing your shifting issue, that is why when the machine is off it shifts fine....a little spinning is fine, but if you can't stop the spinning with your hand then that is too much...

How do you stop it?....could be several things....how many miles do you have on your machine? Has it always had the shifting issue or did it recently start?

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
That is the most hours I've ever heard of on a ranger!

You should have been though 3 primary and 3 secondary clutches by now.

Did you buy this machine new?

You have a clutch problem. and it needs attention before you bust up your transmission.

If you bought it used, I wonder if you bought my old one? lol

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.