PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the 900 being one of the quietest and in the middle of deer season, I am curious what the results were if anyone has added an exhaust silencer.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I've thought of doing something like that even though my 900 is pretty darn quiet. I'm interested in what you come up with.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
So far I haven't heard from anyone who has added one to a Ranger 900 which isn't too surprising since it's already fairly quiet.

The Benz manufacturer, Quad Fab Inc of Greensboro, NC has renamed its product the Silent Rider from atvsilencer.com, and advertises itself as the only one made in America, with the competing product likely made 'you know where'.

The testimonials are mostly from other brands of UTV-ATV's who owners brag that they no longer have to wear hearing protection. (Thank you again PRC Forum for the ability to research your archives before my purchase.)

ATV Silencer does make one for the 2013-2014 900 which requires a small weld-on adaptor so the silencer can be easily removed when not needed.

The Silent Rider® , (Formerly Benz Silent Rider)

I have emailed the company seeking a testimonial from a Ranger 900 silencer user.

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Although I have not seen any noteworthy overheating issues with the 900, I'd still be a little concerned about anything that restricts the exhaust flow more than the OEM silencer. Compared to an ATV, there's much more plastic in closer proximity to the exhaust. Having seen melted plastic on 700 and 800 engines without any exhaust mod's, I'd definitely use caution and keep a close eye on it during the first several hours of use.

Plus as quiet as the 900 engine is already, I don't know how much benefit that you'll actually hear. These machines have so much other drivetrain noise (squeaks, chatter, and whine), I have a feeling that you'll not be able to tell a noticeable difference in noise reduction.

With the above being said, if you decide to give it a try, please let us know the results.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My thoughts exactly Jerry, and a 50-60% noise drop as Nikki from customer service says below, from already very low noise level would be awesome, if it didn't cause overheating.

It requires a weld-on adapter, otherwise I might take them up on their 30 money-back guarantee and get out the noise level meter for documentation. Since our gun season starts this weekend, I probably won't get it done this year.

"Tom,
Unfortunately we do not have any written testimonials of this silencer because it is fairly new.
I can tell you we have had no complaints with this silencer. It will drop the exhaust noise 50-60%.
You could try searching youtube to see if there are any reviews on there.
Thanks and sorry I could not help you more.

Nikki Peoples, Sales and Customer Service
Quad Fab, Inc.
~maker of The Silent Rider®
2102 N. Elm Street, Suite J
Greensboro, NC 27408

(336)285-6934 (office)
(866)207-7172 (fax)
[email protected]"

·
Registered
352 Posts
I would love to hear from someone who does this to a 900. I own the silencer and have used it for 9 years on my honda rancher and im happy with it, had no overheat or any other negative effects in 2700 miles of use. However, u need to have realistic expectations. It took more of the baffle out and i would say it was closer to a 30 percent improvement vs 50, but for less than 200$ i was pleased

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Apparently not on a 900 that I've read about yet.

·
Registered
310 Posts

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
install the sound meter app on your phone and check it.

I checked it coming from my computer speaker
B-4 @idle was 71db @ 5000rpm it was 82db

after @idle was 71db @5000rpm it was 81db.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Its totally arbitrary to get a measure from the video provided but, I noticed a marked difference.

I ordered one for my 900. I also ordered a db meter to measure the overall difference. I talked with Tom in Silent Rider product development and he said they have seen as much as 10 db reduction in the louder models. I'd be happy with a little less but we'll know once I get it installed. Dealing with a serious family issue right now so it may be a week or so before I get it mounted after delivery. Will report back when I have data.

As I mentioned on a previous thread, the sound meter of preference is the Radio Shack analog model. Tom said they have tested their units with $2000 lab model db meters and the results vary widely. They tried the phone apps and found them way off. The best results were using the old Radio Trash analog model. I found a newer model from about fifteen years ago, new in box on ebay. The key here is not the actual db reading but the change in the after-reading.

Stay tuned.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Short answer, no. I thought the inquiry to the manufacturer with the issue of weld-on versus 30 day guarantee might generate further comment from them, but ziltch. I also haven't checked back with them 18 months later for a testimonials update.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I think the 2016 Ranger 900 already has an improved factory muffler when compared to the 2015's and below correct ? ?? Thought I read this somewhere..

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
why mess with that people love the sound and so do the deer I own a deer farm and had a bad boy buggy seen more deer on the ranger I have now than with electric the gravel to tires is what they hear mostly JM2CW T&S

·
Registered
352 Posts
why mess with that people love the sound and so do the deer I own a deer farm and had a bad boy buggy seen more deer on the ranger I have now than with electric the gravel to tires is what they hear mostly JM2CW T&S

That's certainly not my experience and I use both. Now, w the ranger, u can cover far more ground so that allows u to see more, but they are running.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts